Yavakshara is an Ayurvedic medicine, used in treating urinary diseases, abdominal pain, bloating, etc . It is also used as ingredient in many medicines. Yava kshara alkali preparation made with whole plant of barley (botanical name – Hordeum vulgare).
Here barley – whole plant is dried, burnt in open air, ash is added with water, left over night. Sedimented portion is discarded and decanted clear liquid is filtered many times.
After getting a clear liquid, it is heated and the solid powder which is leftover at the bottom of the vessel is called as Yavakshara.
- It is used in the treatment of difficulty in urination and urinary calculi
- It is also used in treating bloating, abdominal pain, ascites.
कासं कफजमर्शांसि यावशूको व्यपोहति||३०५||
तीक्ष्णोष्णो लघुरूक्षश्च क्लेदी पक्ता विदारणः|
दाहनो दीपनश्छेत्ता सर्वः क्षारोऽग्निसन्निभः ||३०६|| – Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana 27
YavaKshara (an alkali preparation from the plant barley) is useful in
Hrudroga – heart diseases,
Pandu – anemia,
Grahani – malabsoprtion syndrome (IBS)
Pleeha – enlargement of spleen,
Anaha – bloating, constipation,
Galagraha – obstruction in throat,
Kasa – coughing and
Kaphaja Ashmari – piles of Slaismika variety.
Alkali preparations (Ksharas) in general are sharp, hot, light, unctuous, softening, carminative, corrosive, and caustic, digestive stimulant and depletive. They are cause burns and thereby work like life.
Yavakshar is also used as an ingredient in many Ayurvedic medicines. Such as –
Yava Ksharam Dosage:
125 mg – 50o mg used in various combination, for oral intake and also for external application.
Yavaksharam side effects:
Since it is a Kshara, it is best avoided in men seeking treatment for infertility, as it may affect the quality and quantity of sperm production. Watch here
In higher doses, it may cause burning sensation.
It is not ideal to use this medicine in people with excessive tiredness, emaciation and who are underweight.
Yava kshara ingredients:
Yava – Barley – Hordeum vulgare
Sushruta Samhita Uttaratantra 42/40
Dindayal, Zandu, Vyas
Yava Kshar ingredients and how to make?
- Whole plant of Barley (Hordeum vulgare) are collected, cleaned well, dried completely in sunlight.
- It is taken in a big iron pan and burnt completely in open air.
- After it cools down on its own, the ash is collected and mixed with 4 times of water (6 times of water according to other reference) then mixed well, filtered with cloth, into an Iron vessel.
- These contents are kept for one night as it is.
- Next day morning the clear supernatent part of water is filtered with a cloth into another vessel.
- This process of filtering is repeated for 3 – 4 times.
- Then this water is heated over mild fire, till the water content gets totally evaporated.
- White colored Yava Kshar is produced. It is stored in an air tight glass contained.
Expiry date: – 5 years, if stored in air tight containers. Once the bottle containing this medicine is opened, it should be emptied within a month or two.
Reference: Sushruta Samhita Sutra Sthana 40/44