tulsi herbal dip tea 800100 banner

Saraswatarishta – Uses, Dose, Side effects and Ingredients

Saraswatarishta is an Ayurvedic medicine used in many health conditions. It is a liquid Ayurvedic medicine. Saraswatarishta contains 5 – 10 % of self generated alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble active herbal components to the body. It is also called Sarasvatarishtam.

Reference:Bhaishaja Ratnavali, Rasayana – 178-191
Saraswatarishtam dosage: 12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food. If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water. It is advised to drink a cup of milk after taking this medicine.
Traditionally it is administered for one month time period.

Saraswatarishta benefits –
Saraswatarishta is a anti aging herbs tonic.
It is a good memory tonic. It is good for people of all ages, improves immunity, voice tone and strength.
It is also used in mental conditions, epilepsy, insanity and to improve quality of semen and sperms.
Traditional benefits of Sarasvatharishtam
For the benefits of students, this medicine has been specially formulated by Lord Dhanvantari.
It improves –
Ayu – life expectancy,
Veerya – potency, sexual capacity
Smruti – memory
Medha – intelligence
Bala – immunity, strength
Kanti – skin complexion and shine,

Digestion power
Vak vishuddhikara – it improves pronunciation, it helps to relieve all pronunciation mistakes
Hrudya – acts as cardiac tonic, good for heart
Rasayanavara – one of the best among all medicines of rejuvenation
Very useful in children, youngsters and old people, men and women.
Param Ojaskara – improves Ojas. (source of immunity)
Relieves voice hoarseness, speech problems
improves voice,
Rajodosha hara – useful to detoxify uterus and related organs, hence useful in female infertility
Shukradoshahara – cleanses and detoxifies semen. Hence useful in male infertility
Sarvadoshahara – balances all the three Doshas.
Ideal for one who read and sing for long periods of time
Good for people having depleted memory, strength and immunity

Saraswatarishta side effects:  In prescribed dosage, it is not having any side effects.
Saraswatarishta ingredients:
Amruta – Guduchi – Giloya – Tinospora cordifolia – Stem – 12 g
Ela – Cardamom  -Elettaria cardamomum – 12 g
Vidanga – Embelia ribes – Fruit – 12 g
Twak – Cinnamon – 12 g
Gold leaf – 12 g

Method of manufacturing:
The first set of herbs in coarse powder form is added with water, boiled and reduced to a quarter part to prepare Kashaya. Filtered. It is added with the rest of the ingredients. Taken in a golden vessel or mud vessel. It is added with a thin gold leaf of 12 grams.
The contents are kept sealed for a month time. After observing proper taste, (completion of fermentation) and after confirming that the gold leaf has disintegrated in the liquid, the contents are filtered and stored in a vessel smearedwith ghee.

Text reference:
Saraswatarishta

Safe for kids?
It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose, in children above 5 years of age.
Pregnancy and lactation –
During pregnancy it is best avoided.
It can be taken during lactation period, under doctor’s advice, for a short period of time.
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Manufacturers: Baidyanath, Dabur, Arya Vaidya Sala, Kerala Ayurveda etc

Ad:
Click to buy Kerala Ayurveda Saraswatharishtam Online

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Lecturer, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Should we take Saraswatharishta in empty stomach…
    Pls reply soon

2. After stopping taking the tonic iz thr any defects to memory power

3. I am having ashwagandha capsules, can I also take sarswatarista

4. How long can this be taken?

5. dear sir after taking a saraswatarishta sleeping is not coming na and how many days the output will be getting after taking saraswatarishta

6. please give a good alternative of saraswatarishta in ghee or tablet or powder form. my psychiatrist has asked me not use any alcohol containing medicine.

7. Andrew Srikanth says:

Is it okay to continue as a daily tonic instead of one month

8. Pradeep Saluja says:

after how long it starts its effefts

9. for how long one need to take sarswatarista

10. ambuj kumar says:

can hyperacidity patient take sarswatarista ? or it causes burning sensesion .because I am feeling

11. Can I give saraswatarisht to my 1.5 year old baby doll?

12. tanishq says:

is it good for schizophrenia??

13. which ayurvedic frim produces this medicine??

14. my daughter has completed 18 years,can I give her saraswatarishtam, if so how much in a day and when,with or without water water and for how long.

15. sh we ta says:

Does this help to cure stammering in kids? My son is 4.5 yrd old. .. He has started stammering suddenly. .. For the past 3 months. … pl reply. .. kindly mention dosage also.

• It helps in stammering. General dose for 4.5 year old is – half a teaspoon with half a teaspoon of water, once or twice a day. Please consult an Ayurvedic doctor for treatment. Seeking online advice for a kid’s health is not good.

16. There is a Saraswatarishta available without the Gold in it. Is it OK to buy that considering that it costs less due to the absence of Gold. How significant is the action of the Gold in it? What is the benefit of the Gold in some Ayurvedic medicines? Isnt Gold an inert metal?

17. Hello doc,
    Can this be taken for vertigo ?
    Reena

• Dear Reena,

To treat vertigo and all types of mental disorders, Mentat (one tablet twice a day after meal) and Saraswatarishta (three tablespoon syrup with equal quantity of water twice a day after meal) should be the best choice of treatment to bring best possible results.

Please Note
      You will need to take the above herbal medicines for several months with utmost patience to achieve long lasting benefits since natural products have holistic healing qualities on the body and take extra time for absorption and producing satisfactory results.

Best regards,
      Kunwar Singh

18. Hello Doctor,

I had sleeping disorder after night shift for a month in January’14. I could only sleep for four hours or so. I started taking Sandu’s Sarsvatrishta and I am able to sleep properly now.

Can I continue taking this? How long can I continue with this? Because if I don’t take it , sometimes I am not able to sleep properly.

• Saraswatarishta is a very healthy, non-harmful, peaceful brain tonic. You can continue it for another 2 – 3 months, then you can start reducing the dose gradually. Do not stop it abruptly. As per my knowledge, it is non habit forming and there are no withdrawal symptoms with this.

19. Nishi kumari says:

I have so many pimples and dark spots on my face. Is Saraswatarishta beneficial for my skin problem ?

20. sir can this be mixed with other asava or arishta and taken together?

21. Sir sir can it be used for chronic insomnia, are there any diet restrictions

• It can be used in treating chronic insomnia. It may not directly induce sleep. But it will calm mind, improve memory, concentration and reduce mental irritation. Because it also has rejuvenating and anti aging properties, it will eventually help to sleep better. There are no much diet restrictions. Having food rich in Vitamin E and A helps.

22. Is Sandu Saraswatarisht is good…. or any other brand..

23. Sir my husband wants to quit drinking but he needs something to put him to sleep. Will this medicine work? If so how should he take it?

24. Hello sir
    My daughter who is 5 year old cerebral palsy kid with speech delay has been advised 10 ml sarawatharistam twice a day and 2 spoon of saraswatha gritam both Avp products for a month.kindly advice.

25. Srinivas says:

For my hyperacidity my doctor has adviced Saraswatarishta for 15 days. 3 tea spoon morning and evening after food. Is it fine ?

26. Can I eat non-veg when I i’m under this medication? Do I have to avoid any specific food items? I already started this medication a week back and I’m a bit scared to take all the food I wish.

27. Do I have to avoid non-veg or any other food while I’m in this medication? I started taking this a week back but I’m not sure what food to avoid.

28. Aradana says:

I have hypothyroidism..can I use this ?Is this good for black spots in the cheeks which spreads due to sun expose? Is this same as Saraswata Ghrita?

• It is slightly different than Saraswata ghrita (ghee medicine).
      It is useful for skin health. But you may also have to use Kumkumadi taila – external application for the black spots.

29. Hi Sir , can i use Medha Vati with Saraswatarishta…

30. sir, can I take saraswatarista along with my regular allopathy depression and insomnia tablets, and for how long the combination runs??

31. I am filling hadec and giddiness from last 2-3 year’s, now I have consulted an patanjali doctor. He said to me you have sirvical spondylitis and he has given to me, – aswagandharist and saraswatarista 3+3spoon 2time, medha bati 2tab, etc.
    I am taking these medicine from one week, but I can’t feel any improvement,

32. Hi sir my son is 3 yrs old can i give him satswatarist n how much also give him mansyadi kavas

33. Shweta sharma says:

Is this arisht ushna virya?

• I wanted to buy Saraswatarishta without swarna patra which is the brand I should buy? says:

I wanted to buy Saraswatarishta without Saraswatarishta. Most of the brands like zandu,Baidyanath have swarna patra in it.

Please suggest a brand I should buy and if you have any contact details please provide me the same.

Hello sir, The basic formulation laid down by the Acharyas have Swarna patra as the ingredient so all of them will have swarna patra as the ingredient.

34. srinivas says:

is sarswathi lehya and saraswathi aristha are same?
    my son aged about 2.10 not taking complex scripts like ilaa randi ,alaa pondi.
    would i use this problem?

35. Bhupesh says:

Can I use it for life time

36. hi sir i am 24 yrs of age .. i am suffering from mental disorder (ocd) and taking saraswatarist along with medhawati and aswagandha churna..as per advised by ayurvedic doctor .. after taking these 3 combination for 8 months now i am 80% ok.. my question is can i take this for whole life as i am feared of quitting these 3 combination.pls help me……

37. sir can i take saraswatrist with medhawati for whole life.. i have mental disorder

38. Gurinder Singh says:

Dear Sir,
    Thanks for giving your time to all of us.
    I’m suffered with Tinnitus in back side of head (sound like frequency waves) (from almost 2 years), cervical spondylosis (may be sound due to cervical spondylosis) & alot of anxiety, so one of doctor suggested me Saraswatarishta with gold. but i did not start it due to afraid that it can do side effect to me, i have problem of alot of acidity & something feeling on & under the tongue, doctor asking it’s due to anxiety. Can you please suggest me medicines ? Thanks in advance.

• it does cause gastric irritation only in high or over doses. otherwise it is good for your problem. for more information please contact your near by Ayurveda doctor.

39. Sir can Saraswatarishta and Ashwagandharishta be mixed together and taken? Will it have better result or be harmful?

Many Thanks 🙂

40. Can i take Saraswatarishta in empty stomach in morning sir plz tell me
    Thankyou

41. farah shadab says:

Is there difference between saraswatharisht gold n asava….i got asava…is it also effective for my 6 yr old daughter….pl reply soon…as i have to start to give her….

42. Rekha nayak says:

After the course of medicine is completed and stopped, will the problems reappear again? I mean once it serves the purpose whichever is the case.

43. hai sir, my son is 6 years old , and he facing some memory problems and risk to talking some tough words so can i give to saraswarista or any other medicine to added. please suggest me

44. can a person (me) with daily drinking habit (age : 25 yrs) take saraswatarishta?? what dose? and for how much time ?… will it be fruitful ?? plz tell me

• if you are agreeing that you have drinking habit then you also agree that it harms your body and mind. if at all you stop your habit or taper your habit to stop definitely it will help you to combat withdrawal symptoms.

45. Raj 22 sir can I take brahmi ghrit from baidynath for memory support s. Please tell me is it contain bacopa monneri or gotu kola

46. Doctor ji my haklata hu iska koi elaj hai?

47. abdul hameed says:

Can i give sarawataristha to my 5 year old son?he is having speech delay and less clarity speech.kindly let me know the dosage?many thanks

48. Hi I’m romila ,my daughter she is 41/2 yr old she can talk but not so clearly ,can I use this medicine for my kid ,I live in PARIS.give me a suggestion is it works or not.

49. sumona roy says:

Sir, my mother is suffering from diabetics , BP , thyroid .. can this be taken and I’d yes then how much dose. She is 62 yrs.
    Also I am 34, no health problem. But I Have weak memory and concentration and poor eyesight . Can I take this medicine. Also can you suggest any other medicine..
    Please help!!
    thanks jn advance ..

• hello,
      diabetic patients cannot take this as this contain sugar and honey in it. you can take but not more than 1 month, better to start under medical supervision.

50. My son has epilepsy, 10 years old. I’ve heard this drug is good for epi. Please advice, thank you

51. I am preparing for an exam and I am facing concentration problem. Will Saraswatarishta help me?

52. vallabh kulkarni says:

Hello sir,

Should i take one time after dinner?

53. Hello sir,
    I am a student can I use it to increase the memory power and concentration

54. Dear sir,

Is it ok to take saraswatharishta + ashwagandha churna in the night for sleep problems? Also, in the morning I’m taking brahmarasayan + ashwagandha churna as general supplements. Is this combination ok, or does it present any problem? Thanks.

55. Sir I have anxiety disorders and also psychological problems. I have mental irritation, head burning, racing thoughts, very less memory, less concentration, less focus, less esteem, irritation, angry, frustation, sometimes numbness in head, frequent victim of body pains, no mental clarity. Can I use saraswatharista if ok suggest me dosage.

56. Sir I have anxiety disorders, mental irritation,racing thoughts, head burning, fear, tension, depression, very low memory, low concentration, low focus, low esteem, angry, no mental clarity, irritation, frustation. Can I take saraswatharista if ok suggest me dosage and time period.

• yes you can take this. default dose is 12-24 ml once or twice daily preferably for one month duration.
      along with medication you may need yoga, pranayama and dhyana for your problem.

57. Sincere thanks to all the doctors on this form for their relentless contribution. Also may I suggest that patients who have had benefits using these medications to kindly mention the same so that it is reassuring to others.

58. Pradeep, I’m not a doctor but I can, to a very good extent, empathize with what you are going through as I have witnessed similar difficulties. From my experience I have felt that there is benefit is going for walking meditations in addition. If you are near a beach in the evening and wetting your feet in the waters as you walk can be good too.

And if possible try to remember that this moment ‘now” is usually pleasant except for our memory of the past or anticipation of the future…yes sometimes there can be headaches in “this moment” but if possible just see it and let it be. Like a guest, let it come and let it go. Wish you luck.

59. Was advised to take Saraswatharista 1 tbsp at night by an ayurvedic Dr -for concentration for daughter 15 yrs preparing for exam. Yet to start Saraswatharistam – kindly advise when is the best time to start as the exam will start in March.

• it does not give instant effect. it prepares the brain for the activity. so you can start now only.

• Dear friends,

Mentat (one tablet twice a day after meal) along with Saraswatarishta (one tablespoon syrup with equal quantity of water after meal) combine is the best brain tonic for students. Mentat in tablet form is easy to consume and extremely convenient to carry while travelling and works out to be cheaper.

To treat all types of severe brain related disorders, Mentat and Saraswatarishta combine in higher dosage as per an expert Ayurvedic doctor’s advice will brings best possible results.

Take care and stay healthy!

Best regards,
      Kunwar Singh

60. I have adrenal fatigue/sleeping disorder for few years.i am taking Medha vati now.I am taking along with food,my body becomes heat,especially yes.Is that Ok ?
    Another things is Can i use Medha vati along with Ashwagandha tablet ? kindly reply

• if you are taking this under medical supervision then there is no problem, go on with your doctor’s prescription.
      you can take medha vati and ashwagandha tablet together.
      ashwagandha is hot in potency, so it is better to take suggestion of your doctor before starting it.

61. Dear Dr.

Could you please suggest which medicines are good for Schizophrenia. My relative is suffering from Paranoid Schizophrenia ad age is about 45 years.

Thank you for your guidance.

Sanjay

• suggesting medicine for such problems without assessing the body condition of such patient will be difficult. since there are lot of medicines for this problem, it is better to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly and follow the prescription which is based on the body condition.

• Dr, Shishira,

Thank you for reply.

this close relative who is 45 years is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. He thinks that people / friends to him are making plot to defame him. he also thinks that people know about the plot and that’s why they are not talking to him. He is having delusion.
        On the other hand he does every thing perfectly on time and is good with family and take care of all his daily routine. only as daily work loads start reducing he will again start thinking and many a times break down completely.
        Few times he shows aggression towards children.

he has taken Allopathic medicine in past but was having side effects , hence need to stop. Please suggest which medicine we should take.

Loss of sleep also noticed in past few weeks.

One of the Ayurvedic doctor he has visited has suggested to take Medha Vati alongwith Medha Kwath. this we are taking for about 1 week only and no noticeable improvement.

Should we continue or we should also start Memtat , or or Sumenta or Saraswatarishta or any other medicine.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Sanjay

62. Is it advisible to give Saraswatharishta for kids below 5 years of age ?

63. Can we stop giving Saraswatharishta directly… Will there be any side effects stopping abruptly?

64. Saraswatarisht contains sodium methyl paraben. Is it not harmful?

65. Can lactating mother of 4 months take this…..which is better saraswatharishta or brahmighritha

66. I sometimes become very sleepy after taking this medicine in the day time .Is this normal for this medicine ?

67. I have 2002 manufactured swaraswatarishta in sealed bottle. It remained in alhmira unnoticed. Can it be taken now because I heard that it have 10 years expiry. Please guide so that any toxic effect be avoided. Make is sandu

68. Hello. I am suffering panic attacks and often feeling unwell, fastened heart beat, fear. Doctor presctibed me Saraswatarishta 2 times a day 2 table spoons and medha vati. I am taking third day and noticed after saraswatarishta my head gets unclear, eye lids are heavy and i am getting into panic, yesterday i had a panic attack 3 hours after taking it. How do you think, why is that? Can it be caused by the remedy?

69. I suffer from panic attacks and bad feeling, sometimes dizziness, sometimes strong anxiety, I am from Ukraine and visited India not long ago, consulted a doctor there and she prescribed me Saraswatarishta, 2 table spoons 2 times a day. But it makes my head unclear and heavy. And I feel retarded or sleepy or I even don’t know. Even after 1,5 table spoons. Could you please consult what is wrong? Should I take it further? maybe before sleep would be better? Before sleep she prescribed me Medha Vati. I don’t have possibility to contact her.

• it induce sleep a bit. and the dose you are taking also seems to be high. take 5 ml of Saraswatharista mixed with 5 ml of water twice daily after food [morning & night] for a period of 2-3 months.

70. hello doctor
    my daughter has completed 8 years,can i give her saraswaratharishta,if so how much in a day and when,with or without water and for how long

71. my elder daughter has completed4years can i give her saraswaratharishta can you pls explain dosage

72. dear doctor,

can saraswarista and khadiraritha be taken together as i have severe pimples and concentration problems , forgetfulness.

73. Is there any side affect in having saraswatarishta for diabetes patients?

74. Doctor, can this be taken side by side with brahmi grith ? If so what dosage of each and timings. Please, its for my daughter (16 yrs old). Her exams are in march.

Madam, Brahmi ghritha would suffice. Along with that:
      • Soak 7 almonds overnight in water. Peel off the skin the next morning. Eat them with 1 glass lukewarm milk
      • Take one to three teaspoons of Amla churna or juice 2 times a day for at least a few weeks.
      • Mix a pinch of cinnamon in about one teaspoon of raw honey.Consume this mixture daily at night for at least a few months.
      • Include herbs and spices like holy basil, turmeric and black pepper in your regular diet as they help boost memory. You can also drink green tea as it is full of antioxidants.
      • Avoid high-fat diets and replace saturated fats in your diet with healthy fats.
      • Engage in regular physical exercise as it increases oxygen to the brain and stimulates nerve cells to multiply.
      • Get proper sleep. Sleep deprivation compromises your brain’s ability to operate at full capacity.
      • A few minutes of sun exposure can also help improve brain function as it provides vitamin D.
      • Keep stress in check.

75. Sir my son is 13 years old is having Ocd, Anxiety and racy thoughts all the time. He constantly asks for reassurance and is very irritable. What medicines and combinations are the best one to give relief from these symptoms. Kindly advice Dr Hebbar.
    Swathi

76. Doctor My daughter aged 16yrs has lack of concentration and little of ADHD. i had been giving 15 ml Saraswatharista for a month in Nov-Dec and has been giving Saraswatharistam 15ml twice morning and night since 15th Feb as advised by ayurvedic doctor. was asked to stop after one month.
    Will the effect of concentration be there in her after she stops the Saraswatharistam, will she come over the ADHD? She is quite a talented child but lacks concentration and focus.
    any advise?

77. Whether saraswatharishtam help in weight loss ? If so how much and for how long it should be taken

Sir, Saraswatarishtam is Ayurvedic nerve tonic used in epilepsy, Mental disorder, Memory weakness and other mind related disorders. Saraswatarishta ingredients are combination of anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and immune stimulant that help in memory-enhancing.

78. Whether saraswatharishtam help in weight loss? If so how much and for how long it should be taken ?

79. a Kottakal ayurveda doctor has recommended saraswatarishta for my 02 year old son is it ok to give at this young age

80. Mentat or sarswatarista which is best for chronic anxiety/ocd

81. Hi,doc this medicine how long it take to show result generally?

82. Rajeshwari says:

Hello sir, I am suffering from severe social anxiety. I feel fear and anxiety in crowded places. Will Saraswatarishtam help to cure my condition? Or is Manasamitra-vatakam a better option? Thank you.

83. PIYUSH KUMAR says:

Dear Sir
    I am 24 year old. Can i take chandanasava and saraswatarishta by mixing both

84. i am facing too much issue of forgetting
    please suggest me how much time i need to take this sarawata…….m to overcome my problem

Hello sir, 12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food. If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water. It is advised to drink a cup of milk after taking this medicine.
      Traditionally it is administered for one month time period.

85. I am facing a social anxiety issue …Which product would be better for treating social anxiety?

86. RM Bhat says:

Hi Sir,
    My mother is suffering from diabetic and is taking allopathic midicines for diabetic and is also a dentiatic patient She is been given Sarwastarishta Her sugar levels are under control, will this cause any harm in the long run due to Sugar content in the sarwastharishta

Thank you sincerely fir the noble service you good people are doing on this forum.

• Hi, if the blood sugar levels are well under control, taking Saraswatarishta will do no harm. She can continue it till the time it has been prescribed. Thanks for your kind words of appreciation.

87. RAJESH MENON says:

I am facing a lot of sleep issues for the last 10 years. I am faced with depression anxiety and feel hopeless all the time. Doctor has prescribed Saraswatarishtam, Medhavati. My only question is, can I take these medicines for life?. I am scared of loneliness etc. and never want to feel these negative symptoms again

• Hi, you can take them for 2 months and after that, why don’t you consult the same doctor for the right advice? If the symptoms do not decrease even after 2 weeks of usage of the above two, consider consulting a psychiatrist. I wish you all the best. Cheers! 🙂