Dandronil

Arjunarishta – Uses, Dose, Ingredients and Side Effects

Arjunarishta is an Ayurvedic liquid medicine, popularly used as herbal heart tonic. Arjunarishta contains 6 – 12 % of self generated alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble active herbal components to the body. It is also known as  Parthadyarishtam, Partharishtam etc.

Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Hrudroga Adhikara 33/75-77 API, AFI

Arjunarisht dose: 12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water.

Arjunarista uses –
Arjunarishta is useful in the treatment of chest injury, weakness, feeling tired all the time, chronic respiratory diseases, cough, throat related diseases.
It is extensively used as herbal cardiac tonic
It improves strength and helps to cleanse intestines.
Arjunarist side effects: There is no known side effects of Arjunarishta, as long as it is taken under professional advice and supervision

Arjunaristam ingredients, How to make
Arjuna tvak – Terminalia arjuna – Stem bark – 4.8 kg
Mrudvika – dry grapes – fruit – 2.4 kg
Madhuka – Madhuca indica – flower – 960 g
Dhataki – Woodfodia fruticosa – Flower – 960 g
Guda – jaggery – 4.8 kg

The first three ingredients are taken in coarse powder form, added with 49.152 litres of water, boiled and reduced to 12.288 litres, filtered. It is furter added with powders of rest of the ingredients, kept for fermentation. After confirmation of fermentation, the contents are filtered and stored in air tight containers.

Manufacturer of Parthadyarishta: Zandu, Dabur, Baidyanath
Original sanskrit verse of the formula
पार्थत्वचस्तुलामेकां मृद्वीकार्द्धतुलां तथा।
भागं मधूकपुष्पस्य पलविंशति सम्मतम्।।
चतुर्द्रोणे अंभसः पक्त्वा द्रोणमेवावशेषयेत्।
धातक्या विंशतिपलगुडस्य तला क्षिपेत्॥
मासमात्रं स्थितो भाण्डे भवेत् पार्थाद्यारिष्टकः।
हृत्फुफुस गदान् सर्वान् हन्त्ययं बलमोजकृत्॥

pārthatvacastulāmekāṃ mṛdvīkārddhatulāṃ tathā|
bhāgaṃ madhūkapuṣpasya palaviṃśati sammatam||
caturdroṇe aṃbhasaḥ paktvā droṇamevāvaśeṣayet|
dhātakyā viṃśatipalaguḍasya talā kṣipet||
māsamātraṃ sthito bhāṇḍe bhavet pārthādyāriṣṭakaḥ|
hṛtphuphusa gadān sarvān hantyayaṃ balamojakṛt||

Safe for kids?
It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose, in children above 5 years of age.

Pregnancy and lactation –
During pregnancy it is best to take only under medical supervision. Self medication during pregnancy should be avoided.
It can be taken during lactation period, under doctor’s advice, for a short period of time.
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Lecturer, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Now i am using this products..
    In few months i will give feed back

2. is this beneficial for a female patient of cardiomyopathy with ejection fraction 30%

• It is beneficial. But please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly. Self medication with this not advisable.

• Bhaskar Reddy K says:

Satyedra kushwa ji, I am a patient suffering from cardiomyopathy, I have consulted well known ayurvedic doctor, she advised me to use Arjunarishta. But she also advised me not to stop the Allopathy medicine also.

3. I am suffering from all the symptoms that you mentioned in this article. In addition, I also suffer from low blood pressure. Can I safely use Arjunaristha? I remember reading at some place that Arjunaristha is used for treating high blood pressure as well and hence this question.

• Hi, Arjunarishta is also used in treating blood pressure. But for BP and cardiac issues, rather than choosing a medicine on your own, consulting an Ayurveda doctor is a good idea. Dose needs to be adjusted from time to time, based on improvement.

4. whether it helps in reducing high triglycerides?

5. This medicine is good. My personal experience is that I had irregular heart beat. With three months of regular usage my heart beat came to normalcy. I did walking exercise also along with this.

6. I am using arjunarista from last two month. I have skip beat of heart. I found the medicine is excellent. My cardiac function become almost normal.

7. Can I use this medicine for high blood pressure also .

8. abhishek singh says:

my Dad has Low pulse problem for last 18 year and he has been using this for last 17 years after showing to doctor, he healthy and doctors are sometimes surprise to see result. He was having pulse rate at 20 but for last 15-16 years it been maintain at 63-73.

9. Which is better I.e whether Arjunamla juice is better or to take arjunarist for high bp

10. Sir,, is this product being useful for cholesterol patients?? Actual my father has back pain and spinel problem due to spondiolisis. So this tonic will be useful for this type of disease???

• It is useful in cholesterol patients. But it may not be very useful in relieving back pain and spine problems related to spondylosis. Better to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

11. I m suffering from high bp and frequent urination my problem is solved within a week

12. sourabh jain says:

arjunarist is treat the heart blockej.

13. Can this product be used with low BP 70/110 n avg heart rate 90

14. Dear my age is 32. Befor 6 month I have gone for health checkup I came to know that I am suffering from high blood pressure and high colistrol so from last 6 month I am taking allophaty medicine now now BP is 80/130 colistrol is also normal range
    Can I use arjunaristh syrup as a heart tonic with allophaty medicine for better results.

15. suryakant says:

Dear Sir
    me and my brother are suffering from high bp 150/95 or may be differ and chest and left hand pain too . should we start arjunarista and how much beneficial it will be

regards

16. ethan hunt says:

Suggestions given by Dr. hebbar are genuine and i highly commend his efforts. Thanks Dr.

17. Is this medicine useful for reducing total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL. Is the dose mentioned on bottle say 10-20 ml twice daily is OK.

18. I underwent bypass surgery in 2012. My cardiac ejection factor is 25 to 30 % and BP remains in the range of 110/70. Taking allopathic medicines. Will arujnarisht be helpful?

19. I m patient of high bp can I use this product

20. dheeraj says:

arjun rishata use in in Mitral Valve mild moderate rehumetical

21. Sumit Kulkarni says:

My age is 33 years. I Have Ventricular Tachycardia and taking Cordarone 200Mg since last 5 years. I want to shift to Ayurvedic Medicine because Allopathic medicines have lot of side effects. Please suggest If Ventricular Tachycardia can be treated with Arjunarishtha? I had also undergone EP and RFA 5 years ago but no help.

22. Hi Doctor

what is best for Atherosclerosis in Ayurveda .

23. Sowmya Vijaya Kumar says:

Hi Doctor…My Mom 65yrs old..We did Master Health Check up recently and found Arotic Stenosis Grade 1…slight Cholorestrol…No Diabetes/No Blood Pressure..no other issues…She has been prescribed by the Ayurvedic Doctor Rasonadhi+Partharishtam…..
    Can you throw more light on Arotic Stenosis from Ayurvedic perspective because i was searching articles by you couldn’t find one because i would like to educate myself. And can you suggest any other way to approach this medical condition. I haven’t consulted Allopathy Doctors since mostly they will go for invasive techniques….how you would approach this?

• Hi, aortic stenosis is more of a structural problem related to valve of the aorta (the big blood pipe supplying oxygen rich blood to the whole part of the body. Aortic stenosis may cause severe health complications and even death, hence it makes sense to go with the advice of the cardiologist.

24. Dhananjay Jadhav says:

I am having irregular heart beat means skipping beat sit beneficial to me?
    Jadhav

25. iqbal singh says:

I am diabtic patient since last one year.my bp was 80/130 .now bp is 80/100. I am suffring frm gastric problem. Can I use arjunristh

26. I am a diabetic patient but my sugar remains normal can I use dis product?

27. Mt triglyceride levels are around 300, LDL is around 120 and HDL is 35. I am definitely on the higher side of the cholestrol safe levels. Would Arjunarishtha help in such a case?

28. surendranathjaanu says:

My bp is high May I use arjunarista

29. Dear sir
    My mother (65yr)is a patient of high BP & also paralysis of left leg .can arjunarishta help her.

30. madhura says:

Hi my age is 44 and recently I came to know that my blood circulation flow in LAD is slow. my blood pressure was 130/90. even sometimes I feel anxiety in heartbeats.
    can I take arjunarishta ?

31. I am having High BP now. my major problem in sleep apnea. Doctor said i am suffering from anxiety problems…he prescribed this medicine. i started doing yoga everyday. Will it correct my problems?

32. Dear doctor,

My husband is having high BP and little high on cholesterol. He’s not diabetic. He’s on allopathy medication. Someone suggested me to give him garlic and arjunarishta (2-3 tsp)everyday. He’s quite low in energy too, gets fatigued fast. Can I go ahead with that suggestion for this condition along with ongoing allopathy medications?
    Kindly reply.

Thanks & regards,

33. danish azeem says:

Hello doctor my mothers one heart valve is slightly shrink from childhood and she is 48 now its hard for her to walk too much due to weight and sometimes she feels stress on heart and irregular heart beat can she take arjunarisht is it benificialy for her please reply

34. I AM USING FROM .REALCARDIO TONIC.

35. Dear Sir,

I have gone through angioplasty last month only .I am only 24 yrs old blockege occurs due to blood clot as i understand .How much it will be benifitial for me to have said product .Right now i am taking 2 times in a day near about one spoon .

Please advice
    Thanks and Regards

36. abhinay.dps@gmail.com says:

Self generated alcohol is not a threat to body in arjunarista and amratarishta

37. Ramswaroop says:

I am. High bp pat. And vertigo used this product arjunrist

38. I am high bp and vertigo used arjunrist

39. i am suffering from high bp and high cholosterol useful this product

40. S.R. Saroj says:

i am suffering high triglyceride 200 above and cholesterol also. i can use arjunarista

41. Anonymous says:

I have strongly addicted by smoking.Can i also use this medicine for cope up of side effects of smoking.

42. I was diagnosed with a one degree av block in the ecg. My PR interval was 250 milli second. Will arjunarishta help in reducing my PR interval and get it within normal limits. Plz reply

43. Good morning Dr. JV Hebbar
    Greetings for the day!!

My question is that, i do take 10 ml apple cider Vinager empty stomach in the morning with little honey and plain water for reducing my triglyciders and 4 days ago i stated taking 24ml Arjunarishta after lunch, so is it okay if i carry on with apple cider vineger?

44. I am suffering from high cholestrol I am planning to use Arjunarishta. Do I have to take this life time ? does it controls BP also ?

• definitely it will counteract on hypertension and hypercholestremia. but regarding dose and duration of treatment you have to consult your Ayurveda doctor. since it is to be decided according to your body condition.

45. I am vijendra Pilaji Deshmukh, my angioplasty done in Dec 14, can I take arjunarista or arjuna amla

46. Hi Doctor…My Mom 60yrs old..she has cardic problem and diabtic.when she used arjnarist then her sugar level shoot up.then immediately stop this can u suggest arjunarist type medicine for diabitic patient…

47. Dear Sir I am having diabetic since six month and taking galvus met 50/500 and no other problems can I take arjunamrita is it ok for me. please advice

• since it contain jaggery it is not usually advised in diabetics. if at all your sugar level is normal and your doctor prescribes this under his supervision, then you can take this.

48. i am suffering from palpitation can it completely cure by this medicine and how much time it will take for curing this problem

49. hello Dr, i’m 40 y old 5 y back i’ve high bp(140-90, more or less) now it turns 110/70 no sugar i feel skipping , and feel pulpitaion near throat and light headed while awake from sitting possition. my ayur dr diognosed it is vertigo and priscribed arjunaarishta. can i take this med? i’ve littile gastro,absorption prbs also.

50. Dear Sir,

I have undergone angioplasty a month back. Out of the three blocks, one has been taken care by the collateral blood vessel, second one is fitted with stent and third one (90%) can not be managed by angioplasty or by pass surgery as per the doctor’s advice.

Therefor, I want to know

1. Whether Arjunarishta will help me
    2. Whether alcohol in this arishta is harmful to my heart since I have experienced in the past that consumption of alcohol pains my heart.
    3. I also want to know whether this arishta thins the blood since I am already taking Ecosprin-150 Mg twice daily.

• 1. it will help you.
      2. no, there will be a very negligible amount of alcohol in it , that too formed naturally .
      3. you can take along with ecosprin in lowered dosage, which you have to be get decided by your Ayurvedic doctor.

51. Sir
    I was under treatment for elevated liver enzymes around 2-3 years back and recently i checked my lipid profile and LFT and it is found that my sgot and sgpt levels are normal(16 and 30).my cholestrol level as follows.Total Cholestrol 126,LDL 66,HDL 22 and Trigliceride 180.Is arjunarishta good for increasing my HDL level.Plz advice
    Rohit

52. Dear doctor,
    I am 43 years, and detected with triglycerides 400, Cholestrol 259 and thyroid 7.6.Rest all tests related to renal/liver are normal.
    I am six feet tall and my weight is 92 kg(little overweight).
    Can I take arjunarist, Kanchnar google tablets and arogyavardhini tablets, to bring the above abnormal figures to normal.
    Please advise
    Regards
    Yogesh

• the line of treatment is good in your case but you better continue this line of treatment under the supervision of an Ayurveda doctor who can fix the dose and method of administration according to the nature of your body.

53. Alok verma says:

Sir, I am 29 years old & taking high bp medicines from the last one year, my bp remains controlled but some times don’t feel well, like shortness of breath & weakness
    Please suggest what can be done using ayurveda

• there are many a things which can be helpful to your problem in ayurveda. it is better if you consult an Ayurveda doctor in person so that your body nature and condition could be evaluated thoroughly and treatment can be prescribed accordingly.

54. Daniel Pani says:

I am a 60 years old male having high diabetes and Blood presssure. I am taking Glimstar M2 in empty stomach at morning and Cresar 40 and Amlovas 5 for high BP in morning and night respectively. But my BP is remaining at 140/100 and Fasting blood sugar at 135. Recently I had feeling of suffocation and breathlessness. ECG and and Echo cardiogram tests were carried out. Two valves were found to have been slightly dialated. Doctor has advised me to reduce BP and diabetes. I have decided to use Arjunarishta to get relief of my symptoms. Please advice.

• sorry you are not supposed to use arjunarista since you are a diabetic and it contains jaggery in it. there are lot more medicines which may help you in this regard for which it is better if you consult an Ayurveda doctor directly and take advice

55. what are the options for diebitic patient? can they take arjunarist?

• no it is not advised to take arjunarista in diabetic condition. there are lot more medicines available which can substitute for arjunarista accordingly to different conditions.

56. Doctor has not shown a perfect substitute to arjunarista for the diabetic patients with cardiac problems.I request the doctor to show a similar medicine for diabetic patients.

You can use Arjuna churna. And as it is for a diabetic patient with cardiac problem a strict supervision is recommended.

57. HEllo doctor I m having a high BP my age is 36. Can I use arjunarishta??

58. Yogesh Patil says:

Hello doctor,i have total cholestrol level 235.Can i use Arjunamrita(Special Arjunarisht)

59. Can it be used to reduce the cholesterol? I am having a high B.P. But under control

60. Hello Dr.

My friend BP Level is 160/80, he s 28 years old. didn’t check cholestrol nd suger so far. some times he said tat having chest pain but, in his ECG report said, he didn’t have any problem. if he don’t hv sugar, he can take arunarister for reduce his bp level?
    need any food control to use tis syrup?. Pls. Suggest me…

• hello… it is very good that you have so much concern for your friend. but it is better to consult an Ayurveda doctor in person , so that he could assess the nature of your body and prescribe you medicine as required. there are lot more medicines for hypertension in Ayurveda.

61. sushila babel says:

is arjunarishta works for blood thinning

62. deepak sharma says:

Hi, My age is 23. I had hyper thyroid before 3 months. I have been taking anti thyrox since that time. My heart palpitation not coming to normal. for palpitation I am taking tenpose 40 SR. now i am taking divya hridayamrit vati. Should I take arjunaristha for my condition.? I did 2D echostudy for heart, It came all normal. Before some days did E.C.G, the doctor told sinus tacycardis. after taking tenpose 40SR my palpitation reduces, but again some times it starts. So should i take arjunarista?

• arjunarista helps, but you are already taking divya hridayamrit vati, and in your condition it is always better to take your doctors suggestion or take treatment after consulting an Ayurvedic doctor directly.

• deepak sharma says:

Hello sir, Hridyamrit is going to finish in some days. After that should i take arjunarishta. I heard that it reduces palpitation problem

63. R.SAYEELAKSHMI says:

I am a SLE for the past 25 yrs.On steroids for nearly 20 yrs. Have been diagnosed with I.L. & now have DVT for the past 3 yrd. Had pulmonary embolism 3 yrs ago. On allopathy drugs throughout. Am on AYURVEDIC medicines simultaneously- Punarnava,Arjunsrisha, Kanakasava, Pavala paspam & some more . Does Arjunsrisha help dissolve blood clots? What is the first aid in ayurveda?My age now is 48 yrs

64. Sir I m suffering from uric acid problem (7.2) .is it helps me to reduce my uric acid?

65. My mother 65 dibitic has aslow pulse rate (40_50 per minute).can I give her arjun chhal churna or arjun kwath for better pulse rate and better heart health .thanks and regards

66. uday singh says:

Sir,I m uday age 28yr and I m suffering from kidney stone disease and doctor recommends me for Operation but my blood pressure is very high about 150/100 that’s why doctor doesn’t operate me .please suggests me what medicines use to get normal blood pressure.

67. sunil gupta says:

i use arjunarisht last few days i suffer from acidity .

68. does it improve tachycardia?? if so how long does it take heart to beat normally?

69. Hi
    What is preferrable , Arjuna Capsules from Himalaya or Arjunarishta for high BP and arrythmia ? Between Arjunarishta and Arjuna Amla , what is preferrable . I do not have diabetes , but my mother had .
    Many thanks.
    Sharad.

• hi… in arjuna capsules only arjuna/terminalia arjuna is the ingredients, where as in arjunarista it contains many as in context. key action of both are same, but act differently in different way. it is better to take the appropriate one after consulting an Ayurveda doctor directly.

70. AMIT YADAV says:

Dear doctor,
    i am a student of 23 year old. i am sounding too while i asleep which my friends told me, so went to ayurvedic shop and bought arjun amrit syrup. but after using twice a day, i m feeling very slight uneasiness n warmth feeling in chest. Is it favorable to carry on or any other recommendation. Acc. to me i think that the syrup is quite hard for my body. Should i continue using…

71. I have mild mitral valve prolapse and heart palpitation and gerd.can I use Arjuna capsule.

72. Hello, I am high BP patient 160/100 and no diabetics taking amlovas/telvistas for high BP. Taking Arjunaarishta gave lot of relief. I am taking dose of 10-15 ml after dinner. Can I take it this medicine on regular basis as as a supplementary tonic forever?

You can take it under medical supervision only. Should be stopped once the BP comes under control. So would advise you take a expert opinion before taking it.

• Just for curiosity, if arjunarishta doesn’t have side-effects and its supportive medicine, what are contraindications if normal person takes regular does? Because, allopathy subscribe BP medicines on regular basis which are having side-effects then why can’t Ayurveda medicine can be taken which is more safe?

73. ravi bhuyekar says:

sir i have lef side chest pain and backpain lipid profile and BP is normal
    tredmil test is normal echo is normal can i use arjunarist

74. Sir, i am 40 year old, suffering of abnormal heart beats (special during night my heart beat goes high) and was using Petril beta. But when i consulted ayurvedic doctor at Patanjali center, she advised me to stop Petril gradually and start Arjunsrisha. Is it safe?

Madam, Yes it is safe. Do consult the doctor for the gradual stopping of the drug. He/she might prescribe the dosage seeing the health and severity.

75. D K Pathak says:

Sir, I had undergone Angioplasty (LCX & RCA ) in 10/2009. I have high BP but normally under control. Not diabetic at all. I regularly take related allopathic medicines as prescribed by the Doctor. Will Use of Arjunarishta benefit me ?

Yes sir, You can use but a physician advised is highly recommended. He/She will prescribe the dosage depending on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.

76. Sir, I have been taking Arjunarishta since January. Few days ago i bought another Arjunarishta but when I had it i felt a different taste completely different one and i afraid to take it. What i find is that my previous one was Arjunarishta A.S.S and new one is Arjunarishta A.F.I-I and was manufactured in feb 2016.
    Is really the taste is different? previous one was sweet as well but this one i got completely different. Please help me

• Dear Ajay,
      The taste of same Ayurveda product from different companies vary due to sourcing of raw material, qualities of jaggery used etc. But effect is usually the same.
      Secret: For asava and arishta medicines, it is best to buy at least one year old products.
      Another point is, it is best to fix yourself to same company product (though I know that it is a difficult task, sometimes). 🙂

77. bharat bhushan says:

can a diabetic patients take arjunarishta syrup.

78. my mother in law has a stencis in her carotid artery, someone suggested arjunarishta,
    to be taken so that the artery may open and regular blood flow rfesume is it alright?

79. Sir mera bihar sub inspector ka physical hai kya mai arjunarishta use kar sakta hu is se hame kya fayda hoga

80. Pinkee Jha says:

I have low BP and my heart beat is high around 90-100 , I am taking Ciplar LA 40 under the doctor supervision . So , please suggest me whether Arjunarist is safe for Me…or not

81. Tarun Goel says:

Dear Doctor, I am 52 years old. I am not a diabetic, have normal BP & Pulse but have marginally high cholesterol & Triglyceride for which i have already started exercise (5-6 km walk & 45 minutes of swimming) & diet control.

Will Arjunarishta, in the prescribed dosage of 10-20ml twice daily as mentioned on the bottle, be beneficial ?

If yes then how long should it be taken?

Thanking you in advance

82. my mom is 80+ with heart blocks and faulty valve. friend suggested arjunarishta and also pomegranate. your write up on this is quite heartening. thank u dr hebbar

83. Dear sir,
    My husband is 35 year old DCM patient with EF 30%.bp 105/72 and pulse 85 on an average and wt 63.5kg.have clotting in legs.doc prescribed warfarin,beta blockers ,cordarone 100,planep t and vitamins etc.some ayurvedic doc has suggested me arjun tonic.please suggest can I give this along with allopathic medicines.
    Deepika Bhandari

84. Vinod Kumar kaushik says:

can this arjunarishtha be helpful in curing in curing loose confidence?

85. rajiv kumar says:

sir can i used arjunaristha in left valve systolic dyfunction ?