tulsi herbal dip tea 800100 banner

Abhayarista – Ingredients, Uses, Dose and Side Effects

Abhayarista is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine, widely used in the treatment of hemorrhoids and constipation. It contains self generated alcohol upt 5 – 7 %. The alcohol acts as a medium for the active principles of herbs to dissolve. It is mainly indicated in piles and constipation.

Abhayarishta dosage:
12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, equal quantity of water can be added before consumption.

Dose based on age:
For children 1 – 3 years of age: 2 ml once or twice a day.
For children 3- 7 years: 5 ml, once or twice a day.
For 7 – 12 year old – 10 ml once or two times a day.
For 12 – 18 year old – 15 ml once or twice a day
For adults – 15 – 30 ml once or twice a day
If needed, water can be added in equal quantity of the liquid, just before administration.

How long to use?
Based on doctor’s prescription, this medicine can be used for several months.
Safe for kids?
Safe in lower doses for kids above 3 years of age. Accidental over-dosage should be strictly avoided.
Pregnancy and lactation:
Best to avoid during pregnancy. Can be taken during lactation period, after consulting doctor.

Abhayarista uses:
Useful in piles, hemorrhoids, relieves bloating, constipation. Improves digestion
Traditionally it is used in the treatment of –
Arsha – hemorrhoids
Udara Roga – gaseous distension of abdomen, ascites
Vibandha – constipation
Mutrabandha – difficulty in urination
Dropsy.

Abhayarishtam side effects:
A very high single dosage of more than 50 ml may cause loose motion and stomach disturbances, stomach ache.
Since it contains Colocynth as an ingredient, which is can cause abortion, it is best to avoid this medicine during pregnancy.

Abhayaristam ingredients:
Abhaya (Haritaki – Terminalia chebula) – Fruit – 4.8 kg
Draksha (Dry grapes) – dried fruit – 2.4 kg
Vidanga (Embelia ribes) – Fruit – 480 grams
Madhuka (Madhuca indica) – Flower – 480 g
Water for Kashayam – 49.152 liters
Boiled and Kashayam is reduced to 12.288 liters.
Jaggery – 4.8 kg
Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) – Fruit / whole plant – 96 g
Trivrit (Operculina turpethum) – Root – 96 g
Dhanyaka (Coriander)- Fruit – 96 g
Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) – Flower – 96 g
Indravaruni (Citrullus colocynthis)- Root – 96 g
Chavya (Piper retrofractum)Stem – 96 g
Mishreya  (Foeniculum vulgare)- Fruit – 96 g
Shunti (ginger)- Rhizome – 96 g
Danti (Baliospermum montanum) – Root – 96 g
Mocharasa (Salmalia malabarica) Exudate – 96 g

Method of manufacturing:
five ingredients are taken in coarse powder form.
Added with water, boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters. Filtered.
This filtered Kashayam is added with  melted jaggery mixed thoroughly.
It is added with rest of the ingredients. Kept closed in air tight container and fermentation signs are observed. After achieving optimum fermentation, it is filtered and stored in clean air tight container.

Original verse explaining the product –
Abhayarishtam

Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Arsho Rogadhikara 9/175-180, AFI Part I 1:1, Astangahridayam.
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.

Ad:
Click to buy Kerala Ayurveda Abhayarishtam Online

Commonly used product combinations
Triphala Guggulu is administered along with Abhayarishtam to support the treatment of hemorrhoids.

For the sake of reference:
Abhayarishta as explained in Charaka Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana 14th chapter:

कुष्ठ शोफारुचिहरो बलवर्णाग्निवर्धनः||१४२||
सिद्धोऽयमभयारिष्टः कामलाश्वित्रनाशनः|
कृमिग्रन्थ्यर्बुद व्यङ्ग राजयक्ष्म ज्वरान्तकृत्||१४३||
इत्यभयारिष्टः|

harītakīnāṃ prasthārdhaṃ prasthamāmalakasya ca|
syāt kapitthāddaśapalaṃ tato’rdhā cendravāruṇī||138||
viḍaṅgaṃ pippalī lodhraṃ maricaṃ sailavālukam|
dvipalāṃśaṃ jalasyaitaccaturdroṇe vipācayet||139||
droṇaśeṣe rase tasmin pūte śīte samāvapet|
guḍasya dviśataṃ tiṣṭhettat pakṣaṃ ghṛtabhājane||140||
pakṣādūrdhvaṃ bhavet peyā tato mātrā yathābalam|
asyābhyāsādariṣṭasya gudajā yānti saṅkṣayam||141||
grahaṇī pāṇḍu hṛdroga plīha gulmodarāpahaḥ|
kuṣṭha śophāruciharo balavarṇāgnivardhanaḥ||142||
siddho’yamabhayāriṣṭaḥ kāmalāśvitranāśanaḥ|
kṛmigranthyarbuda vyaṅga rājayakṣma jvarāntakṛt||143||
ityabhayāriṣṭaḥ|

½ Prastha Haritaki—Terminalia chebula, 1 Prastha Amalaki – Phyllanthus emblica, 10 Palas Kapittha – Limonia acidissima ,5 Pala Indra Varuni – Citrullus colocynthis, 2 Palas Vidanga – Embelia ribes, 2 Palas Pippali – Piper longum, 2 Palas Lodhra – Symplocos racemosa, 2 Palas Maricha – Piper nigrum and 2 Palas Elavaluka is added with 8 Dronas of water and boiled till 2 Dronas remain.
The decoction is filtered and allowed to cool. To this, 200 Palas of Jaggery is given in an appropriate dose depending upon the strength of the patient.
By the regular intake of this Arista, Piles get cured. This effective recipe is called Abhayarista.
It cures
Grahani dosha (sprue syndrome)
Pandu – anemia,
Hrudi roga – heart diseases,
Pliha – splenic disorders,
Gulma – Tumors of the abdomen (Phantom tumour),
Udara – ascites, enlargement of the abdomen (obstinate abdominal diseases including Ascites),
Kustha (obstinate skin diseases including leprosy),
Shotha – oedema,
Anorexia,
Kamala – Jaundice
Leucoderma,
Krmi – infestation with intestinal parasites,
Granthi (adenitis) Tumour
Vyanga – discoloured patch on face (Freckles),
Raja yakshma – Tuberculosis and
Jwara – fever.
It promotes strength, complexion and the power of digestion [ 138-143]

Comments

1. RAJEEV .N says:

Is Abhyarishtam used for 1year old child for motion problem(motion is very tight) ?

2. RAJEEV .N says:

Whether Abhayarishtam or Mustharishtam is best for the above problem?

3. I used to take Abhayarishtam along with Dasamoola kaduthrayam(DMK) from AVP. I started around Dec 2012 in India. I also used to take some vyoshadi vatakam. As you can see it was for stomach ailments along with breathing issues (sinus etc). So I used to take pre-prepared mix of Abhaya and DMK. SInce I had to leave for the USA I bough extra bottles of these separately.For whatever reason, for one month I felt extremely great full of energy(using pre-prepared medication).I even lost weight. Then I mixed these in equal quantities and used them.For some reason they did not work well again for me.
    Reason i mention the pre-prepared decoction might have nothing to do with it…or everything to do with it…or does efficacy of medication reduce with flight travel or due to cold weather? But ultimately my bowel issues are back so also my sinus issues.
    What could have caused it to work well initially and then not work?

4. what is the expiry for this product? I have a bottle manufacture in June 2010. I stored it in Fridge so far. Can I use it now?

5. how much time it will take to heal fissure ?

6. gandhi namakkal says:

its suitable for diabetic patients?

7. Is it effective to treat coeliac a disease?

• Hello Adam, It helps to some extent to improve nutrient absorption and for better formation of stools. But this can not be said as a standalone medicine for Coeliac disease. A combination of Ayurvedic medicine often leads to successful treatment.

8. How much time should it be used to releave from piles problem?

• Hi, the itching and pain should reduce within a week or two. the pile mass size reduction may take upto a month, based on particular condition. Other medicines along with this might be required.

9. Sorry for the incomplete msg. I read inthis website,this tonic is used for piles etc. Will it help in weight reduction?

10. Dr. Can i use mixture of dhasa + Jeera + Abhaya ristam for general health. if it is then what is the ratio of the mixture?

11. Yogesh Mhaskar says:

What precaution should be taken in meal while using for piles.
    ??

• Completely avoid all spicy food for at least 1 month.
      Take more of radish, Yam, turmeric, brown rice, oats, Linseed oil, olive oil, cabbage, carrot, pumpkin, papaya, raisins (dry grapes), orange, dates.
      Restrict on potato and non veg food.
      Drink at least 2 liters of water per day (10 – 12 cups)
      Walking / Exercise for at least 10 – 15 minutes per day

12. Bhanwar singh says:

Sir i am serving in army doctor give me lactopill for constipation and lignox 2percent gel used over fissure and inside.can i use abhayarishta…will lignox is effective

• Dear sir, assuming that you do not have diabetes, you can take Abhayarishta in a dose of 3 teaspoons twice a day for 4 weeks. Lignox gel will help in reducing the burning, itching and pain sensation.

• Sir surgery from military hospital is better or ayurvedic surgery is better what should i do?

• Sir,
          I hv been suffering from constipation for long time back…I had external piles before which are cured nw ..bt nw a days my bowel movement is irregular(from july 2013 too till date)….constipation and so I m feeling sm pain inside da anus(from last month)..there is no bleeding, but I m feeling little growth inside da wall of anus which I can feel by inserting finger..it is not causing any trouble…but irritates/pain during defication with constipation…. one auurvedic doctor prescribed me to take Abhayarista of Bajrang brand.. so, please help me if I can use this brand and how long can I use the same?Thanks…waiting for ur quick response…
          Dhritiman. .

13. Hi Sir,

I came across the info on Abhayarishta. My wife have been prescribed with this medicine along with Aravindasavam, Dhanwanthram gulika and Gopichandanadi gulika, morning and night after food, for constipation problems. However, we are trying to conceive at the moment and wanted to know if any of these medicines will have a negative impact?

• Hi, all the four are quite safe to take in pre-conception period. Please stop them soon after periods are missed / pregnancy is confirmed and for further advice, do as per advice of her gynecologist. I wish you both success 🙂

14. I am suffering from constipation and lack of bowel movements for several months now. What dosage of Abhayarishta should I take and when? Can it be taken without mixing it with water?

15. Ashim kumar Shome says:

I am diabetic.yet I am using abhayaristtra 2 times daily.Pl prescribe sugar free medicine for costipation.

16. churaman says:

Dear sir ,
    i churaman kumar ,piles patient please Advice me, abhayarist syrup. better or not to this time .

17. My 18 year old son is passing through constipation since long. Abhyarisht is suggested by one of my BAMS. Should i Give him for long time ?” and for how long?

18. kuldeep sidhu says:

Hi sir.. my wife is suffering from piles, fissure and hammeroid both. . Shes feeding our 5 months old baby also .. she taking homeopathy medicine for piles.. can she start abhayrishta. .

19. I am suffering from anal fissure and bleeding after bowel moment since 15 days. I do not have any problem with my bowel movement, neither do i have constipation. But still after there is blood almost each day(just 1-2 days without bleeding). Someone suggested me Abhayarishta , let me know how much time it may take to stop the bleeding so that the healing can start. Also there is severe pain/itching/ burning sensation at times).

Please suggest.

20. Hi Sir, your advice’s are very helpful.

21. Does this medicine have any effect on cowper gland – fluid, the mucus like substance that is secreted from urethra on sexual excitement ? I have been taking medicines for that and constipation . Urine tests are normal.Culture is normal. I am just distressed over constipation and secretion of cowper gland fluid ! Does it affect health ?

22. Jitendra Sihwag says:

I have come to know that Abhyarishta is a mydriatic (that is it dilates pupil). Is it a fact. Is its use harmful for the eyes. And if a person is prescribed this for how long can he continue to take it.

• As per my knowledge, non of the herbs in Abhayarishta has mydriatic effect.
      Ayurvedic herbs like Dhattura, Atropa belladona, Hyoscyamus niger have mydriatic effect of variable strength.

23. Rajesh N says:

Can abhayarishtha be helpful in ulcerative colitis

24. Karmakar says:

Doctor, does abhayarishta cure the chronic piles/ fistures completely or just a temporary. How long should be taken in what quantity please suggest ?

• Abhayarishta is useful in grade 1 and 2 of Piles. In many cases, it gives permanent relief. Regular dose is – 10 – 15 ml, with equal quantities of water, 2 times a day, after food for a period of – 6 – 8 weeks.

25. Rajkumar says:

Dear sir,
    this is Rajkumar, my son(7years 4days old) having digestion problem. if he takes food some extra suddenly he does vomiting. some body suggestioned that if we use abhaya ristha (2 cups) mixing with Protiost Malt (2cups) for 2 months to clear the problem. please suggest me that if we use for children heat will generates in his body. kindly respond on this. i have a doubt.

26. Nidhi bansal says:

Hi I m using abyarishtam for constipation but when I take it my throat gets troubled I get tonsils . What can I do to solve this because I want to continue this medicine

27. amir khan says:

Can abhayarista cure bleeding piles???

28. i wanted to know if I can use Abhayaristam, I had navel displacement because of which I got IBS and then got Internal Piles and Bleeding. Since I was not aware of Navel Displacement I could not control IBS and bleeding became worse for 3 months. Then I got even external piles.
    Now My bleeding has stopped but keeps flaring up. I had taken remedy seen online of having Small onions friend in coconut oil.
    At the moment no bleeding but lot of gas and External Piles is there but not painful(It is healed but I can feel it swollen).
    I want to know if taking Abhayaristam will help me.
    P.S. I Tried posting a comment earlier But I don’t see it anymore

29. Bhimsen Thapa says:

Dear Sir,
    My child completed 4 years and running 5 years. His suffering from constipation and his stool like goad.

Could you please prescribe the medicine for him.

30. Sir,
    I am suffering from piles i am taking a
    Abhayaishta from last 1 month i have a good benifit with abhayaishta and my masses has been lose but not too much reduce so how much time i took abhyarishta.

• very good to hear that you have got good results with abhayarista for your problem. you can continue with the same for several months based on the prescription of your doctor.

31. i’m affected anal fistula and fissure , If I use Abhayarishta will cure and jaundice anything will come? because my stomach pain place of liver right side .

32. Dear Sir,
    My 3.5 year old son has been having issues with proper bowel movements for a long time now. His stools are not hard but he only goes every 2 or 3 days and that too does not feel a strong sense of bowel movement until we make him sit on the toilet. We have noticed that sometimes (rarely) he has blood in his anus after he has pooped. He has sometimes had some anal fissures as well. Is Abhayarishtam the right medicine for him ? Would it help him have regular bowel movements. Your article mentions that it is safe for kids over 3 years old. What dosage would you suggest. Also is this a habit forming thing or would we we able to wean him off of the medication once he becomes regular ? Thanks again for your advice.

• hello,
      yes you can use this abhayarista in a dose not exceeding 5ml twice daily with equal or twice the amount of water. it improve digestion also.it is not a habit forming, you can definitely wean him off from it once he becomes normal.

• Thanks for the advice. How long would we need to put him on this medication ? How long would it take for him to have regular bowel movements ?

33. Fissures ka bar bar recurrence hota mai pileoff cpasule saptavansiti gulgul le raha pichle ek saal se thoda fayda mujhe hua bt fissure heal nahi hote any advice

• aapko khane me bhi thodasa badlav lana chahiye, zyada theeka khana nahi khana chahiye. yadi aap baitke kaam karne vale tho thoda bahuth vyayam bhi karna aap ke liye achcha hai.

34. Should I stop taking gulgul and pileoff I have been using from 1 year bt fissures come back after some time .some one has advised pirrhoids with abhayarisht

35. Sir ples tell me that abhyarishta 15 ml main kitna percent pani dalna hota hai if i put water 30 ml it will be benifit or not.

36. Is it hot for.body ? Can it cause wet dreams ? I have noticed it creates a bit of heat . I wonder if it’s really beneficial .

37. I read all your comment sir … Very useful …
    I started using abhayarishta from baidyanath company …
    Please let me know is it good or suggest me a better brand …

38. Hi sircan i take abhyarist and kumariasva together

39. I am taking brahmi ghrithm for regaining my mental alertness after delivery. Doctor has prescribed me abhayarisgta for my anemic nature. Can I go with this combination? Presently I am lactating my 4 month old.

40. Dear sir,

I am using abhayarista since 2 months,right now i dont have any problem but how to know wheather it is completely cured or not,shall i stop using it now

41. odimayomi femi says:

My wife has fibroid can this product be of help?

42. I am using abhayarista for piles since 2 months i had better results but how come i know healing is completely done or nor..plz help so that i can stop using it

Sir, If the symptoms have stopped you can stop taking the medicine. Do consult a physician for the same.

43. Thank u very much mam

44. Can this be given for my son who is two years old and has problem of constipation

45. I had symptomatic pneumothorax recently (last week) now I am experiencing constipation. Shall I take abhayaristam?

46. Santosh kunar says:

Dear sir I am taking abhayarist , arshodhani Bati and kashisadi tail it is help to 3 stage piles or I have no bleeding problem for better result what I do please suggest me

47. Mohinder Kumat says:

Is alchole is harmful during piles????

• Yes. Regular consumption of alcohol weakens the blood vessels, hence not ideal for piles. Having said that, abhayarishta – though contains alcohol, is taken only in therapeutic dose (20 – 40 ml) for a few months time. Hence, not harmful for piles.

48. Amit Sahoo says:

Sir I have been taking Abhayarishtam for past about six months for piles. During this period I experienced piles problem getting controlled and almost vanishing, and a tiny pea like hemorrhoid shrinking to a smaller size but when I stopped Abhayarishtam for one or two days, the problem appeared again. Now I have resumed taking Abhayarishtam. Kindly suggest what to do next?

49. Sir I am sunil suffering from 3rd stage piles..i am using abhayrishta with kutajghan vati from one month but blood is bleeding from piles and constipation problem still persists. Give me suggestion or other medicine or shall i go for surgery.

50. Sir i am having a small abcess near anus ,it sometimes bulges out and becomes painful. But not much discharge is experienced . I am taking abhayarishta along with Habbe bawaseer bati and Habbe bawaseer khooni, 3 tablet each , one after dinner and one after lunch and applying baidyanath bawasir malam. Should it cure? How long to continue. Pls. advise.