dhatu-copy

Dasamoolarishtam – Ingredients, Uses, Dose And Side Effects

Dashmoolarishta is a liquid Ayurveda medicine, used in the treatment of anemia, after delivery care of mother, cold, cough, digestive disorders etc. Dasamoolarishtam contains about 5 – 7 % of self generated natural alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble the active herbal components to the body. Also called as Dasamularishtam.

Dashmoolarishtam dosage: 12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, equal quantity of water can be added before consumption. Can also be taken in repeated doses.

Adjuvant: Musk or Vayugulika is taken by mixing with this.

Pathya:
Light pathya rules are enough.
How long to use?
Based on doctor’s prescription, this medicine can be used for several months.

Dashamoolarishta benefits:

• Indigestion, lack of taste, respiratory conditions, fistula, in diseases of Vata imbalance, vomiting, anemia, liver diseases, skin diseases, haemorrhoids, urinary tract conditions, cough, jaundice.
  • It is used as a general health tonic.
  • Dasamoolarishta is also used for ladies having problem with conception and pregnancy.
  • It improves immunity and strength.

Traditionally,  this vedic medicine it is used in the treatment of following diseases.
Grahani – Malabsorption syndrome, IBS
Aruchi – Anorexia
Shwasa – respiratory diseases, wheezing, asthma
Kasa – cough, cold
Gulma -bloating, abdominal tumor
Bhagandara – anal fistula
Vatavyadhi – Vata imbalance disorders, neurological disorders
Kshaya – tissue depletion, chronic respiratory disorders
Chardi – vomiting
Panduroga – anemia
Kamala – liver disorders, jaundice
Kushta – skin disorders
Arsha – piles
Meha – urinary disorders, diabetes
Mandagni – low digestion strength
Udara – ascites
Sharkara – urinary gravels
Ashmari – urinary calculi
Mutrakrichra – difficulty in urination
Dhatukshaya – in emaciated, lean and weak person
Krushaanaam pushtijanana – improves nourishment in lean and weak.
VandhyaanaaM garbhada – useful in female infertility
Shukraprada – Improves sperm and semen quality and quantity
Balaprada – improves immunity, strength

Dasamoolarishtam side effects: High dose may cause burning sensation, stomach disturbances.
Dashmoolarishta ingredients:
Indrayava (Holarrhena antidysenterica) – seeds – 19 g
Karkatashrungi (Pistacia integerrima) – Gall – 19 g
Jivaka  (Pueraria tuberosa) (Official substitute) – Root – 19 g
Rishabhaka (Microstylis wallichii) – Root – 19 g
Meda  (Polygonatum cirrhifolium) – Root – 19 g
Mahameda  (Asparagus racemosus) (Official substitute) – Root – 19 g
Kakoli and ksheerakakoli  (Withania somnifera) (Official substitute) – Root – 19 g
Rddhi & Vriddhi (Dioscorea bulbifera) (Official substitute) – Root – 19 g
Water for decoction – 20 liters. Boiled and reduced to 5 liters.
Draksha  (Raisins) – Dried fruit – 600 grams
Water for decoction – 2.45 liters boiled and reduced to 1.84 liters
Honey – 307 grams
Guda  (Jaggery) – 3.8 kg
Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) – Flower – 290 g
Kankola (Piper cubeba) – Fruit – 19 g
Jala (Coleus vettiveroides) – Root – 19 g
Chandana (Santalum album) – Heart wood – 19 g
Jatiphala  (Myristica fragrans) – Seed – 19 g
Lavanga (clove) – Flower bud – 19 g
Tvak  (Cinnamon) – Stem bark – 19 g
Ela (Cardamom) – Seed – 19 g
Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – Leaf 19 g
Kataka Phala (Strychnos potatorum) – Seed – quantity sufficient.

Reference: Sharangdhara Samhita Madhyama Khanda 10/78-92, Bhaishajyaratnavali.
dasamoolarishtam

Method of manufacturing –
two Kashayams – one with the first set of herbs and second with raisins. filter and keep them ready.
dissolve the jaggery, and filter it.
To it, add the rest of the ingredients. one after the other. Keep in air tight container for fermentation. Once after completion of fermentation, it is clarified with kataka seed and stored in air tight containers.

Is Dasamoolarishtam good during pregnancy?
Dashamoolarishtam is not prescribed as a tonic during pregnancy. However, if it is prescribed as a medicine for a particular disease during pregnancy, it can be taken under medical supervision. But as a rule of thumb, lesser the medicines during pregnancy, better. Usually only iron and calcium supplements are administered and all other medicines are best avoided during pregnancy.
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.

Comments

1. Can Dashmoolarishta be used for 1.5 year old baby?
    Baby has very little appetite and low weight.

2. Dr Janardhana Hebbar says:

Dashamoolarishta, can be given to babies, only under strict medical supervision.
    So, go with your doctor's advice.

3. Rahul Raveendran says:

Sir, it is being said that roots of ten plants are the main ingredients of Dasamoolarishtam. But, a large number of plants are listed here. The name itself proclaimes that ' I am an Arishta of ten roots'. How it happened?

4. Dr Janardhana Hebbar says:

Main ingredient of Dashamoolarishta is the group of ten herbs. but it also contains other ingredients that are mentioned above.

5. Rahul Raveendran says:

Sir

Thanks for your reply. May I know the RASAPANCHAKA ( Rasa, Guna, Vipaka etc)of 5 major roots used for preparation?

Additionally, please give the substitues for these 5 major roots as the non availability of these species insisted commercial manufacturers to adulterate Dasamoolarishtam.

Hope a reply soon

6. Sir i'm having constipation and weak body will taking of dashamoolarishtam induce more costipation ?

7. Dr Janardhana Hebbar says:

Just refer any book on Ayurveda materia medica and you will get it.

8. Dr Janardhana Hebbar says:

It will not induce constipation.

9. Priyanka says:

Sir, i am having scanty periods from the past 3 months. I consulted with my doctor but all my reports are normal. can i take Dashamoolarishta to regularise my periods.

10. can dasmoolarishtam increase oaj in my body. i m pitta prakrati n low oaj

11. I would like to know if Dashamoolarishta will be of any help for postnatal period. It says it has 2% of self generated alcohol, was wondering if it is ok to take this as i am breastfeeding my 3 week old baby. let me know and thanks.

12. Sir,
    I suffer from severe sinusitis and headache.can i use this arishtam.can i use this herbal medicine for a long time, like a health tonic.

13. I am having prostate problem. I am taking English medicine regularly. Will Dasamoolarishtam help in controlling prostate.

14. i have off and on headache and digestive disorder with gas problem …can i take dasa moolarishtam

15. I am having prolonged period, can I use this dushamlarist for this? Where can i get this product in london, UK.
    Thanks in advance

• Hi, London has many Ayurvedic doctors. please consult one, before taking this or any other Ayurvedic product.
      This product is not exactly suitable to relieve prolonged periods.

16. NITIN JAGGA says:

Sir, M sufferring form neck stiffness from last 2 yrs, having no problem/pain in neck movement, only stiffness in muscles, so what to do?

17. is there is a limitation period for using it? most medicine can be used for a week or 10 days. that about Dasa…?

18. Laxmikanth says:

dear sir where can i get this in uk .i search in internet but i couldent find it.

• Hi, because it contains self generated alcohol, there are some restrictions in Europe. Please try in any Baba Ramdev Ashram / Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala shop or just with some Ayurveda doctor.

19. Could Dasamoolarishtam help with a distended stomach?

20. sir i want to reduce my weight reasons of increase my weight is as follow

first one miscarriage
    and second delivery through operation.

can it works?

21. Chandrasekhar says:

For asthma patients – to get relief and for cure – how long should one use dasamoolarishtam ?

22. Can dasamoolarishtam be given for 4 yr old ? And is it ok to take other multivitamins or fish oil when on dasamoolarishtam ?

23. Hi Dr,
    Is it helpful for hormone imbalance? My wife has a high level FSH and
    LH

Thanks,

24. LAlitha R says:

DR, Can Dasamoolaristam be taken by diabetic patients for digestion and appetite? Of course side by side continuing the diabetic tablets.

• Dear madam, if the diabetes is well under control, then a teaspoon of this, two times a day can be taken, while continuing the medicine for diabetes.
      If the sugar levels are above 170, then it is not advisable to take this medicine.

25. Is there any food restrictions when taking Dasamoolarishtam?

26. Can dashmool herb in powder form be boiled with milk? Or only in water?

27. After my delivery i took 1 bottle dashamoolarishta. How much dashamoolarishta is to be consumed? what are the advantages/ disadvantages for breastfeeding mothers?

• It can be continued till the three months after deliver.
      Advantages of breast feeding – helps the mother to shed fat, lowers cholesterol, creates bonding between the mother and the baby, it is the best food for baby.
      There are no disadvantages.

28. Sir, what is the expiry date for Dasamoolarishta. Because I have a unused bottle of this product in my house which is about 7-8 years old. Is it safe to consume. Pl clarify

29. Im just curious to know if Dasamoolarishtam can be used as a daily health tonic like Chavanaprash or is it purely a medicine?

30. IS DASMOOLARISHTAM ONLY FOR WOMEN OR MEN CAN TAKE IT TOO ?

31. hi doctor i am 3 months pregnant now.in my gtt test my glucose level is up to140.so doctor asked me to control food.doctor is it safe to drink amla juice during this time

32. I have vitiligo for past 20 years on my left neck and cheek. Very small spots of 25paise coin size. I took dashmoolarishta after the birth of my baby for 3 weeks. I noticed increase in the white spot. Could it be because of dashmoolarishta? I was feeling very healthy during the time I took it, but because of increase in patches I panicked and stopped it. Pls. Advice if I can start taking again.

33. sonal tandel says:

I recently had a misscarriage. .. For how many months can i take this syrup

34. manasa sumanta says:

can i use dasamoolaristha while breast feeding

35. Sir, am taking dasamoolarishtam and jeerakarishtam after my delivery how long to be taken and any food restrictions to follow

36. Please advise, whether it is advisable to take Dasamoolaristam and Dhraskharitam for those who are using ASPIRIN. Also, I am using Mansa Mithradhi vadakam regularly for many years. Will it interact with any problems.

• Hi, because people taking aspirin are quite prone to gastritis, if they are consuming the said two arishtas, it is best to take them after food.
      You can take manasa mitra vadakam, while taking aspirin. But for taking manasamitra vadakam, you need medical prescription. It cannot be taken without medical supervision.

37. Hello sir can I give this DASMOOLARISHTAM to my 15 months child, as doctor suggested to give her calcium rich food,as she is lacking calcium .

38. Namaste doctor..i am suffering from endometriosis and i want to conceive and have baby.will dashmoolarishtha help me in endometriosis? Pls suggest a good ayurvedic doctor in delhi.thanks in advance.

39. I am travelling to India in November and heard this was a great remedy to avoid getting stomach upsets. is this true? How early should I start taking it? Thanks for your help!

• Welcome to India!
      Yes, this is good remedy for stomach upset.
      If you are intending to take it after child birth, it can be started after 3 weeks after delivery – for upto 2 – 3 months.

40. can dasmaularishtam roots can be taken as a medicine for epilesy? Please reply. Please mention any other advice if possible. Thank you, Sir

41. Hi doctor.. I am taking DASAMOOLARISHTUM after 10days of my delivery. Will the alcohol content affect my baby? Will he sleep too much due to this.??(I do breast feed)

42. syed bokhari says:

sir ,

i am having high blood pressure .i can use dashamularishtam

43. Abdul afeel says:

Just need to know dashamoolaristham, Jeerakarishtam, danwanthari koyamb is banned in Saudi ARABIA or not. I am planing to carry this. Now a days most of medicines are banned in saudi

44. Hello doctor..my second baby is 4month old..he had severe colic and gas problem and used to cry for almost the whole nights..then we consulted an ayurvedic doc aftr 2months and I was prescribed dashamoola jeerakam..it had helped him a lot as the colic subsided and he was much okay..i had taken 2 bottles and stopped the med..nowadays he has started with costpation and doesn’t pass stools for 4 days and hence cries a lot in the evenings..shall I start with the medicine again…doc plz advice

45. i feel my heart beat some times, and pulpitation also. early mornig normally its rythm is 70 and it is vary in a day sometimes h/r goes to 100 per min h/r.and pressure level also varying in a day. (100/70- 130/70 -100/60) (basically by birth i’ve parriot nail) how to srengthen my heart? is there any auyurvedha products? ofcourse my auyur dr said that this is not a major probs.

46. Aswathi says:

Doctor, I couldnt take any treatment after my delivery since I am in U.S.Its been 2 yrs. Recently I found that online I can buy dasamoolaarishta. Can it be taken now as a post natal care? If so how long should I take it? Or is there any other medicines or lehyam that would be better for me to take at this time?

47. Hi,
    I have been diagnosed as eartly stage of Cervical Spondylosis and Lumbar Spdondylosis. I do have some nectk stiffness and lower back pain since last 15 days, I went to alopathy doctor and after xray the eartly stage of both Cervical and Lumbar spondylosis has been detected. Alopathy doctor adviced me for 3 months treatment where every week there will be a Injection and tablets, and has advised to wear cervical collar. I have started the treatment, however I just wanted to know if Ayurveda has a complete cure for this?

Also, as Dashmoolaristha’s one of the use is for Backpain can it be used to treat the spondylosis? as I have read that as per ayurveda the condition of spondylosis is vata dosha?

I am in Mysore, these days it is getter harder to find a good ayurvedic doctor. Do you know anyone who is good ayurvedic doctor in Mysore where I can visit and take the treatment?

• Contact – Prakruthi Ayurveda Prathishtana ®
      #1579, 2nd West Cross
      Vishwamanava Double Road,
      C & D Block,
      Kuvempunagar, Mysore – 570023
      Karnataka, India
      : +91 944-820-7710

• Thank you for your valuable suggestion, I will try to contact them and shall have a consultation.As you delayed your reply, thanks anyway for your help.

Raghu

48. Whichbrand of Dashamoolarishta is good? Bhaidyanath, or Dabur or Zandu. I want to buy iy in USA.

49. Garima Setia says:

I have been prescribed to take dashmool kwath… Can u plz tell me where or if which pharmacy can I get pure dashmool

50. can this be taken with meat soup? is it ok because of fermentation process or incompatible due to honey + jaggery?

51. Dear Sir – For my 12yr old my daughter this was prescribed by an ayurvedic Dr over phone.I lost the written notes of how to give this. Does the Dashamoolarishta(liquid) needs to be mixed with water and give. If so what is the dosage to be given for 12 yr old.

52. Dear Doctor,i am suffering with gastric,flautuna and full ness of stomach after having little food also.I had all kinds of checkups,abdominal scanning and other tests also.

please suggest some medicine.i am having a BP of 130/80 and no sugar problem.my age is 34.

53. Labdhi Shah says:

Sir,
    Is dashmoolarista useful for weight lose after pregnancy? I heard same. i used it after pregnancy till 1.5 months and naturally upto 3 months my weight lost but now weight is stuck. So can I used it after 8 months for weight lose?

• it is not for weight loss. it is used in post-partum period so as to combat vata and facilitate uterus to reside to its normal size. give your body some exersice so as to reduce weight.

54. Respected Doctor

Can you please suggest a good Ayurvedic doctor in Hyderabad/Secunderabad for my hearing loss treatment

55. K.Shajahan says:

Good informations from doctor.Can doctor advice me the alternative treatment for Right side lingual Hernia without surgery.Also I ll be very happy if doctor prescribes me a oral medicine for stomach flattening/belly reduction. A person told me that Dhasamoolaarishtam is good for stomach flattening.pls advice me doctor.

• yes it will help. but the medicines, doses and duration are to be decided only after thorough examination and analysis of the nature and condition of the body. so please consult an Ayurveda doctor for further advice.

56. Sir, is dashamoolarishtam good to cure acidity ,how long I have to take,and please suggest me dose also . I am 35 yr old woman. Please help me Sir. I can’t take allopathic medicines due to its side effects . is there any other medicine to cure acidity. I also have tongue blisters due to acidty . Please help me Sir . Thank u.

Madam,Here are some remedies:
      •For an instant relief from the high acid take tender coconut water. A dose of 100 to 500 ml should be taken twice/day.
      •Take the powder of Amalaki in a dose of 3 to 6 g should be taken with 100 to 250 ml water twice/day. Amalaki is one of the best pacifier for the Pitta as well as the Kapha Dosha and also a rich source of Vitamin C- to heal the bruised stomach and esophagous due to the high production of the Acid in stomach.
      •Drink coriander and cumin tea,
      •Mixing two teaspoonfuls of ghee in a glassful of milk and taking this once a day acts as a liner inside the gut and will heal all the destruction caused by the high flow of Pitta
      •Fruits that will help you in getting relief from acidity are cucumber, watermelon, papaya, and banana.
      Some ayurvedic medicines:
      •Avipattikar churna
      •Narikel lavana

57. Sir,I have indigestion and bloating in stomach…some gastric problem…whether it be cured by dasamoolarishtam☺

Sir, You can take Hingwastak Churna instead. Some dietary regulations and life style changes the problem will be solved.

58. Hello Dr. Can I use dasmularista after delivery

59. Hello doctor,
    I’ve been having Jeerakarishtam, dashamoolarishtam and kurunji compound after 10 days of my delivery.Will I need to dilute both the rishtam in hot water before having?Since I’m having it in undiluted form as a tonic..is it safe for me..since I’m breastfeeding..how long can I have it..please kindly reply.

60. I am having fibroid in uterus and facing infertility issue since 6 years…My periods are painful and scanty… Please let me know if I can take dashmolarishta

61. Satisha K N says:

I have gastric chest pain, can it be cured by Dashamularistam? pl suggest

62. can it be taken on an empty stomach

63. Hi Doctor,
    I’m 5 months pregnant and having bone pains in fingers, toes and knees since a week.My doctor has suggested Dashamularishta for 7 days. Is it safe to take it?

64. I had hysterectomy and C S during my second baby on 28 June, today it is 34th day, is it good for me to take dashamoola and jerraka aristam together.

65. Gulshan Saraswat says:

Can you give me names of quality manufactures of this product?

66. Hi Sir
    I was having 37 days continuous fever and I made all the blood test , and PET , CT scan everything was normal in the report , and it cured its own after a week discharged from the hospital , Doctor made the report as “Fever of unknown origin or prolonged viral ?? “. Now I am ok and I had lost my weight about 9KG , will Dasamularishta help to gain weight and improve the immunity ? Please suggest .
    Thanks.

67. sir, i have Mild fatty infilteration of liver and left renel microlithiasis, does this dasamoolaristam help, can i use this

68. priya joshi says:

Sir i m suffering from pcod..can i take this during periods also

69. Please suggest that dashmoolarishta is beneficial to take in case of pcod or not.

70. Phalguni Bhattacharya says:

Expiry date of dashamoolarista ! !! Please mention reference.

• As per Drugs And Cosmetics act, all Asava and Arishtas can have a shelf life of 10 years only.

• Phalguni Bhattacharya says:

Your information is totally wrong.whose made this act they have no idea about the basic science of asav & arista in Ayurveda.Please see Sarangadhar samhita 1/51-53, Charak samhita sutra sthan 27th chapter. In clinical practice it’s observed that effects of old asav,arista is better.

71. I am 24 and I started consuming Dashmularishta from today as my menstrual cycle is irregular and to improve my health.My neighbor recommended it to me.Is it okay if I continue with it?

Can women after menopause take this syrup for better health?

72. Heloo sir.
    Can I used this after three months of delivery by c- section for tummy weight loss

73. can i take dashamoolarishttam for weight gain

74. Hello Doctor,
    We are planning for a baby. Please let me know if it is good for me to consume Dashmoolaarisht if in case I miss my periods. Will this affect my chances of conceiving.