Loha Bhasma is an Ayurvedic medicine prepared from Iron. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment of anemia, eye disorders, skin diseases etc. This medicine should only be taken strictly under medical supervision.
Lauha Bhasma Uses:
- It is nourishing, sweet, sour and bitter in taste.
- It is coolant in nature and heavy to digest.
- It has scraping quality, hence useful in cardiovascular diseases.
- It improves strength, immunity, skin texture, complexion, memory, intelligence, digestive power and acts as natural aphrodisiac.
- It is useful in gastric complaints, skin diseases, eye disorders, bloating, splenomegaly, helminthiasis, obesity, diabetes, vomiting, asthma, bronchitis, herpes, abdominal colic, chronic respiratory disorders, liver disorders, piles, fistula, chronic diseases, emaciation, muscle wasting, dizziness, delusion.
Effect of Lohabhasmam on Tridosha – Balances Kapha and Pitta.
Chemical composition: Iron – Fe.
Loh Bhasm dosage:
125 – 250 mg once or twice a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor. It is traditionally administered along with Honey, Ghee, Trikatu Churna, Triphala Churna, Turmeric.
Loh Bhasma side effects:
- This medicine should only be taken under strict medical supervision.
- Self medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous.
- Over-dosage may cause severe side effects and gastritis.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children. Store in a dry cool place.
Iron Bhasma preparation, ingredients, how to make:
Loha Bhasma is prepared from purified Iron. There are many different methods of preparation. Any one method can be used. Here is one such method.
Triphala – 100 grams is added with 80o ml of cow urine, boiled and reduced to 200 ml, filtered. This decoction is used to grind purified Iron, for 21 days, disc shaped cakes are prepared, taken in a closed container and heated in the absence of air in 800 – 900 degree celsius for 4 – 5 hours. Taken out, and again ground with Triphala – cow urine decotion for one day and again heated in the basence of air. This process is repeated for 21 times to obtain Iron Bhasma.
Reference: Rasamrit, 3/134-136
After samanya shodhana, vishesha shodhana Marana was carried out bybhanupaka, sthalipaka and putapaka. During the putapaka process, an electric muffle furnace (EMF) was used. The temperature of puta was studied in two batches, viz. in Batch I, a temperature of 800°C was maintained whereas in Batch II, a temperature of 600°C was maintained. The purpose behind selecting two temperatures was to validate the process of marana of Lauha and to determine an ideal temperature for the preparation of Lauha Bhasma in EMF. It is found that after 20 puta at a temperature of 600°C, the Lauha Bhasma was prepared properly. The entire characteristic of Lauha Bhasma, like “pakwa jambu phala varna,” varitar, etc. was attained at 600°. At a temperature of 800°C, the process could not be carried out smoothly. The pellets turned very hard and brassy yellow in color. The desired color was attained only after decreasing the temperature in further puta.
By observing two batches, it is evident that Lauha Bhasma is better prepared at a temperature of 600°C in an EMF. In Batch I, it took 22 puta for the preparation of Bhasma and was 70% varitar. Batch II took 20 puta for complete conversion of the material to the Bhasma form, and was 75% varitar. Hence, it is revealed that a temperature of 600°C in the EMF is to be maintained for 1 h for preparing proper Lauha Bhasma.
Manufacturers: Uma Ayurvedics pvt. Ltd. Dabur, Divya Pharmacy, Shree Dhootapapeshwar Ltd.
Ayurvedic medicines with Lauh Bhasma as ingredient:
What are the tests for purity of Loh Basm?
Companies such as Dhootapapeshwar, Unjha are very reliable. The powder should be very fine so much so that they enter between the creases of your finger. When dropped slowly on a cup of water, at least 50 % of the bhasma powder should float.
Foods prohibited while Iron intake:
An ancient book Rasa jala Nidhi prohibits the following foods while taking iron Bhasm. But in practical, such harsh restrictions are not put on the patients.
lakucha, ber fruit, lemon fruit, Karonda, tintiri, chicken, goose, swan, water crow, crow, crane, black gram, tubors like potato, radish, bamboo shoots, Chana, kadamba fruit, ash gourd, cucumber, kevda, banana fruit, pot herbs, pulses.