Malatyadi Tailam is an effective Ayurveda herbal oil for hair care. It is useful in Alopecia, hair fall and dandruff problem. Most of the companies manufacture this in coconut oil base. Synonyms:
Malatyadi keratailam, Malatyadi thailam, Malatyadi coconut oil
Malatyadi Tailam benefits:
- It is used in treatment of alopecia, premature baldness, dandruff and excessive hair fall.
- It is also used for hot oil treatment.
- It can be used for a long period of time.
How to use?
- It is used for external application only.
- Apply sufficient quantities of the oil to the scalp, massage gently. Take hot water head bath after half an hour.
- You can also apply this oil and leave it over night and take head bath the next morning.
- For alopecia patches, a cotton swab is dipped in this oil and placed over the patch for 15 – 30 minutes
- In alopecia it is used in combination with Eladi choornam, Gulgulwadi choornam etc.
Side Effects and Caution:
- This oil is not meant to be taken orally. Accidental oral intake leads to poisonous effects.
- Keep this oil out of sight and reach of children.
Companies that manufacture Malatyadi Keratailam
- AVN Ayurveda Formulations Pvt. Ltd.
- Arya Vaidya Sala – Kottakkal
Principle adopted in making this herbal oil:
In this herbal oil, the herbs are infused in the medium of sesame oil along with herb water decotion. Then the solid waste herb materials are filtered out. Thus, this oil contains oil soluble and water soluble phyto-active principles of medicinal herbs.
Malatyadi Tailam ingredients:
- Coconut oil
- Malati – Jasminum grandiflorum
- Naktamala – Pongamia pinnata
- Karaveera – Nerium indicum
- Agni – Plumbago zeylanica
Bhaishajya Ratnavali Kshudraroga Adhikara 60/137-138
मालतीकरवीराग्नि नक्तमालैर्विपाचितम् ।
तैलमभ्यञ्जने शस्तमिन्द्रलुप्तापहं परम् ॥
इदं हि त्वरितं हन्ति दारुणं त्वरितं नृणाम् ।
mālatīkaravīrāgni naktamālairvipācitam |
tailamabhyañjane śastamindraluptāpahaṃ param ||
idaṃ hi tvaritaṃ hanti dāruṇaṃ tvaritaṃ nṛṇām |
How it acts on hair fall?
It is more useful in alopecia areata, where a patch of hair is erased. Before the hairs re-grow, there needs to be some local irritant to stimulate skin. This oil does that.
Also, Malati and Naktamala are very potent skin detox herbs, useful in addressing dandruff, seborrhic dermatitis, scalp psoriasis etc scalp skin issues, which harm the hairs.