Eladi Thailam is an Ayurvedic hair oil used for skin conditions. This oil is formulated based on the Kerala Ayurveda principles. This oil is prepared with sesame oil base. But some companies do manufacture this in coconut oil base. Called as Eladi Keratailam, Eladi keram or Eladi coconut oil.
Eladi Keram Uses
- It is used in hair treatment for skin diseases like allergic dermatitis, ring worm infection, urticaria.
- It is useful in scabies, erysipelas and cattarh.
- It is also used to improve skin complexion and texture.
- It is used for external application for skin detox treatment.
- It is used in defective teeth, diseases of gums and mouth, ear ache and boils.
Doctors also use this for the treatment of
Eczema scars, Acne scars.
Effect on Dosha – Balances Vata and Kapha.
Synonyms: Eladi Tailam, Eladi coconut oil, Eladi keratailam, Eladi kerathailam, Eladi Keram
How to use
- It is only used for external application only It is not used for internal administration.
- For skin diseases, it is applied over the affected area and left as such for minimum half an hour, before it is washed of.
- For skin detox and to improve skin texture and complexion, it is used as a massage oil over face, and whole body.
- Contact to the eyes is generally avoided.
- Excellent for application on head in chronic catarrh.
Principle behind making herbal oils:
In this herbal oil, the herbs are infused in the medium of sesame oil along with herb water decotion. Then the solid waste herb materials are filtered out. Thus, this oil contains oil soluble and water soluble phyto-active principles of medicinal herbs.
Eladi Thailam Thailam Ingredients:
Tila taila – Oil of Sesamum indicum / coconut oil
Ela – cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum
Sthoola Ela – Amomum subulatum
Turushka – Hydnocarpus laurifolia
Kushta – Saussurea lappa
Phalini – Callicarpa macrophylla
Mamsi – Nardostachys jatamansi
Jaladhyamaka- Coleus zeylanicus
Sprikka – Anisomeles malabarica
Choraka – Angelica archagelica
Chochapatra – Cinnamomum zeylanicum
Tagara – Valeriana wallichii
Sthauneya – Taxus baccata
Jati- Myristica fragrans
Rasa – Commiphora myrrha
Shukti – Ostrea edulis
Vyaghranakha – Capparis sepiaria
Marahva – Cedrus deodara
Aguru- Aquilaria agallocha
Shrivasaka – Pinus longifolia
Kumkuma – Saffron – Crocus sativus
Chanda – Costus speciosus
Guggulu – Commiphora mukul
Devadhupa – Shorea robusta
Khapura – Boswellia serrata
Punnaga – Calophyllum inophyllum
Nagahva – Mesua ferrea
Eladi Thailam Thailam References:
- Sahasra yoga – Tailayoga Prakarana
एलायुग्म तुरुष्कर कुष्ठ फलिनि मांसी जलध्यामकम् ।
स्पृक्काचोरक चोचपत्र तगर स्थौणीय जातीरसा: ॥
शुक्तिव्याघ्रनखोमराह्वमगुरु: श्रीवासकं कुङ्कुम ।
चंडा गुग्गुलु देवधूपखपुरा: पुन्नाग नागाह्वय ॥
ऎलादिकोवात कफौ विषं च विनियच्छाति ।
वर्णप्रसादन: कण्डू पिटिका कोठनाशन: ॥
elāyugma turuṣkara kuṣṭha phalini māṃsī jaladhyāmakam |
spṛkkācoraka cocapatra tagara sthauṇīya jātīrasā: ||
śuktivyāghranakhomarāhvamaguru: śrīvāsakaṃ kuṅkuma |
caṃḍā guggulu devadhūpakhapurā: punnāga nāgāhvaya ||
ऎlādikovāta kaphau viṣaṃ ca viniyacchāti |
varṇaprasādana: kaṇḍū piṭikā koṭhanāśana: ||
Companies that manufacture Eladi oil:
AVN Ayurveda Formulations Pvt. Ltd, Nagarjuna, Vaidyaratnam Aushadhalaya, Kottakkal.
Eladi tailam as baby massage oil –
Eladi oil or Nalpamaradi oil are good for babies to improve skin complexion.
Before starting to use it daily, Apply a few drops of eladi oil over arm area of the baby and watch for 5 minutes for any allergic reactions such as red rashes, itching, burning sensation etc. if there are any allergic symptoms, it is best to avoid it. If there are no such symptoms, it is good to continue that product. This rule applies to all herbal oils for massage for babies.