Swarna Bhasma is prepared from Gold. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment of infertility, asthma, tissue wasting, poisoning etc. This medicine should only be taken strictly under medical supervision.
Swarna Bhasma Uses:
- It is a natural aphrodisiac, cardiac tonic, immune booster and heavy to digest.
- It has scraping effect.
- It improves intelligence, memory, and speaking capacity.
- It is used in treatment of Malabsorption syndrome, Dyspepsia, Hiccup, Anaemia, Dyspnoea, Asthma, Fever, Tissue wasting, Tuberculosis, Impaired intelligence, Epilepsy, Rupture / weakness of ligaments, Heart disease, Disease due to Vata dosha, Syphilis, Poison, Loss of memory, Mania, Psychosis, Hoarseness of voice, Diseases of skin, Tuberculosis, Senility/Progeriasis.
Use of Swarna bhasm in poisoning:
In olden days, when there was poisoning, first vomiting and purgation was induced to remove remnant poison in the gut. Then, to cleanse the heart, Tamra bhasma was administered to the patient. After that, Swarna bhasma is administered for a long period of time. By such Swarna administration for long time, the body becomes as pure as Gold. The term used for this is ‘Hemapanga’.
Na Sajjate Hemapange padmapatre ambuvat visham || – Ashtanga Hridaya Sutrasthana 7th chapter
In a person who has been given Gold bhasma for a long time, the poison can not do any harm, similar to a water drop that can not touch the leaf of the lotus.
So there is reference of long term use of Swarna Bhasma, but it has to be done under strict medical supervision only.
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Swarna Bhasm dosage:
15.5 – 62.5 mg once or twice a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- It relieves burning sensation, if taken along with bile of fish.
- It gives aphrodisiac effect if taken along with Bhringaraja (Eclipta alba).
- It improves strength and immunity, if taken along with milk.
- It is good for eyes, if taken along with Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa)
- It improves memory if taken along with sweet flag
- It improves skin complexion if given along with saffron.
- It acts against poison, if given along with an herb called Nirvisha.
- It relieves psychosis if given along with ginger, clove and pepper.
While taking Swarna Bhasma, Bael fruit should not be taken.
Swarna Bhasm side effects:
- Self medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children. Store in a dry cool place.
Swarn Bhasma preparation, ingredients, how to make:
It is prepared from purified Gold. There are many different methods of preparation. Any one method can be used. Here is one such method.
Purified Gold leaf is ground with lemon juice, and applied with a paste of Rasasindhura (Mercurial compound). It is kept in a closed container, heated in absence of air in 400 – 500 degree Celsius for 4 -5 hours. To get Gold Bhasma.
Reference: Rasa Ratna Samucchaya 5/15
Research: Blood compatibility study
Manufacturers: Divya Pharmacy, Dabur, Baidyanath, Shree Dhootapapeshwar Ltd
Ayurvedic medicines with Gold Bhasma as ingredient: