Haridra Khand – Benefits, Dose, Side Effects, Ingredients

Haridra Khand is a very famous and highly effective Ayurvedic medicine for allergy. It is in granules form. Its main ingredient is Haridra – turmeric. It is also known as Haridra Khand, Haridra Khandam.

Haridra Khand benefits:
It is used widely in the treatment of allergic skin diseases, itching skin diseases. It improves skin quality and complexion.
Kandu – itching skin disorders, pruritis
Visphota – blisters
Dadru – fungal skin infections
Sheetapitta, Kotha – allergic skin conditions, hives
Udarda – skin diseases due to skin contact with cold objects

Haridra Khand dose:
5 – 10 g once or two times a day before or after food, as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
It is usually given along with warm milk or honey.
Dosage for children below 5 years of age – 1 – 2 grams, once or twice a day, along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
Dosage for children between 5 – 12 years of age – 5 grams once or twice a day along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.

Haridra Khand side effects:
There are no known side effects with this medicine. However, it should always be taken only under medical supervision, after prescription from a qualified Ayurvedic doctor.

Haridra Khand ingredients:
Turmeric – 384 g
cow ghee – 288 g
milk – 3.072 liters
sugar candy- 2.4 kg
This mixture is heated to prepare a semi solid mass. It is added with below Prakshepa dravya
Trikatu – Pepper, long pepper and ginger – 48 g each
Cinnamon, Cardamom, Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – 48 g each
Vidanga – Embelia ribes – 48 g
Trivrit – Operculina turpethum – 48 g
Triphala – Haritaki, Vibhitaki and Amla – 48 g each
Nagakeshar – Mesua ferrea – 48 g
Musta – Cyperus rotundus – 48 g
Lauha bhasma – 48 g

Method of preparation:
Ghee is taken in a pan. Add turmeric powder to it. Heat it in mild fire, for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir continuously to make a homogenous mass.
While heating, once turmeric odor starts emitting, stop heating. If you over heat, it may get burnt.
Take pre-boiled milk and sugar candy in another wide mouthed vessel.
To it, add ghee fried, continue heating in mild fire. Stir well.
As you continue heating, the mass starts solidifying. At one stage, take out a small mass in a spatula, allow it to cool down, rub between fingers, it will yield 2 – 3 stable threads.
Take a small piece of content in a spatula and put it into water, it solidifies very quickly and settles at the bottom.
In the beginning stage of heating there will not be any particular appreciable odor. Nearing to the end, you can appreciate typical ghee and turmeric odor.
After observing these three symptoms, stop heating and take it out of fire.
Take the prakshepa dravyas  in powder form and mix them well. Add this powder mix to the ghee-turmeric-milk and sugar candy mass while continuously stirring. Slowly the whole mass gets the shape of granules.

Haridra Khand reference:
Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Sheetapitta Udarda Kotha adhikara – 12 – 16

Traditional reference:
haridra khanda

Manufacturers: Nagarjuna, Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala, Baidyanath, Dabur, AVP, Vaidik Herbs.
Divya Pharmacy calls the same product as Divya Haridrakhand.
Shelf life: 3 years from the date of manufacturing. Once the bottle is opened, it is best to finish it within 4 – 5 months of time.

Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Safe for kids?
It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose (1 – 2 grams per day), in children above 3 years of age.
Pregnancy and lactation –
During pregnancy, it is best to avoid this / take this only under medical supervision.
During lactation period, it can be taken in lower doses, based on doctor’s advice.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Lecturer, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Can haridrakhand (B.R ) be given to 2 years 6 months old
    child who has a weeping eczema .He is allergic to certain foods and cow milk .We use goat milk ,goat butter etc .

2. Can i take after my delivery

3. is there any diet for this?

• Avoid frozen food, fried food, brinjal, peas, and heavy non veg food.
      Usually the diet restriction is specific to the disease, for which this medicine is used for treating.

4. kya ese summer me b use kia ja sakta h…????bcz haldi garam hoti h

• Agar dood ke saath isko le rahe hai to, isko summer me bhee use kar sakte hai.
      (translation – can it be used in Summer? because turmeric is hot in nature.
      Answer: If a cup of milk is consumed after taking this, then it can be used in summer as well.)

5. Fahmida says:

Hi, Can i take this during pregnancy.

• It is best to avoid all Ayurvedic medicines, including this one during pregnancy. If you have allergy issues, consult your doctor.
      Add a small pinch of turmeric to hot milk and drink it once a day.

6. Narendra says:

I have been taking Haridrakhandam for more than a year, since then urticeria has not occured, I’m taking the dosage empty stomach every morning. Not sure for how long I need to continue taking, should I try discontinuing?

7. I am using hardrikhanda for allergy like seasonal rhinitis, I am taking twice daily from past three days. and I am suffering from acidity, just want to know hardrikhanda will cause acidity?

8. Hello Dr. My ayurvedic Dr. had suggested this. My age is 32. As my body is a heat body when I was taking this I use to get even more heat in my body. and now Am married for 6 months but, not planning for kid at least for 4 months. So what should I do? should I continue with minimal dosage or discontinue it?

9. Dr. I Have allergy SO because of this I have nose blockage, runing nose, cough,irritation and sneezing So can I take this medicine.

10. Is it good for sebohhoric dermititis??

11. I’m chronically dehydrated with dry skin and rashes / itching. My blood report shows allergy. I get acidity soon. Will haridrakanda help?

12. Sir, how should I take the dosage ? Directly or mix it in some liquid ?

13. A Kumar says:

We are planning for a baby next month onwards. My wife is suffering from dermographism from last 8-9 months. Can she take this during this mmonth only because we shall not take it next month onwards. Can It cause some issue next month if we take it this month only ??

14. Rajendra says:

My face skin which was dried, itching and became like urticaria near mouth at one side. I consulted an Ayurveda doctor who advised me to go for Haridrakhand with other syrup.
    Now, after one month I found much improvement in the skin. But I have to stop eating tomato, lemon, food containing artificial coloured and essence, Curd, grains, bread like fermented food, Idli, dhosa, fried food like Gathiya as I m Gujarati.

I read about Hardirakhnad from this as well other web site and books and it sounds good to use. Kindly post detailed procedure to make it at home as it is useful to all people in other diseases also.
    some brand uses abhrak bhasma as one of the ingredient and some is not…. which is better?

Rajendra

15. Amrita Mukherjee says:

I have been suffering from dry cough(sometimes with hooping sound,rarely) since last 6/7 months.It increases at night,only throat irritation is there,no phelgm.Doctor told it is allergic cough & those medicines did not make differences much.I have been living in Cement Industries colony for last two years.Is Haridrakhand good for this?

• I have severe allergies that became asthma. I react to cement particles by getting a scratchy throat and sometimes find it even difficult to breathe. I read that very fine particulate material can go deep down the bronchial tubes and cause inflammation. I feel this can induce asthma.

16. sailesh says:

i am 14 years old.I started to take haridraa khandam powder with milk . i took it once today morning only it caused me wheezing.I am taking this b cos i have running nose and seasonal nose block.Can i continue this for 7 days as prescribed?

17. tanisha nayak says:

Hello,can haridara cause constipasion and acidit in small children 4.5 yars, how long to it take for,and best way to take it

• It may not cause constipation and acidity in children, if it is taken in a small dose of – half a teaspoon two times a day, with milk, after food.
      It can be continued for 2 – 3 weeks in kids.

18. I am a patient of chronic Urticaria and want to know more about the Haridrakhandam.
    Can I expect a significant improvement by taking this medicine.

• It is really effective. It is my number one preferred medicine for urticaria and allergic rhinitis. However, it contains Loha Bhasma, hence need special precaution in children (not to over-dose) and it contains sugar, hence diabetics cannot take it.

19. I have cholinergic urticaria… Should i take it? Can it cure my disease?

20. Hello dr.sahab,
    On 10th dec.14 in night suddenly i felt sound emitting from left ear. It is tinnitus. I m 42 yrs.old. One vaidhya adviced me kshar tail two drops 2 times along with other medicines. Is he right? Will u like to give me advice. Is tinnitus curable in ayurveda (as allopath is dissappointing in this regard)? I got my ear’s audiometry and problem did not find related with hearing.
    Pl. reply soon.
    Ajit

21. Hi,
    Am taking Haridrakhandam for past ten days for allergy itching in my legs.. during this should I avoid alcohol, when I consume alcohol am not feeling comfertable, head ake, eyes become read, heart beat increase.. should I avoid drinks during this treatment.

• Because Haridra Khanda contains a few spicy ingredients like black pepper, ginger and long pepper, it may be causing stomach discomfort along with alcohol. Hence, it is best to avoid alcohol while taking it.

22. Lawrence Horner says:

Dear Doctor Hebbar,
    I have been suffering from angioedema and urticaria for over twenty years. Prescribed medications only provide temporary relief. Please let me know whether harida khand brihat will alleviate this condition. Secondly, how do I obtain this remedy, as I reside in the UK?
    Kind regards,
    Lawrence Horner

23. Dear doctor, Is there any method of preparing Haridrakhanda without Milk? Please teach me!!!!

• Hi, in the same procedure, you can replace cow milk with goat milk, or just use water in place of milk.
      But without milk, the product will be hotter to the stomach.

• Dr Naveen says:

Dear doctor thank you….
        And now I am preparing Haridra khanda with some kashaya instead of milk as the durability of prepared medicines is longer….and gives very good and fast result….
        Thank you….
        Dr Naveen

24. Sudharsini says:

Dr can you give the dosage measurements in teaspoon s for children and adult

• Because it contains Iron bhasma, it should be used with special care in children.
      For children above 7 years of age – half a teaspoon once or twice a day after food.
      For adults – 1 teaspoon twice a day before / after food
      It is administered along with milk or honey.

25. Dear Mr. Hebber,
    Can I Give the Haridrakhand avleha to my teenage daughter having frequent sneezing during this season?

26. Sir I have urticaria since 2yrs .no medicine working on me.is haridrakhand helpful for me. And how I can concentrate on study is there any medicine to improve memory power.

• Hi, it is useful in urticaria.
      Tips for better memory and concentration –
      Use ghee in your diet regularly.
      use more of Sunflower seed, almond, pine nuts, peanuts, spinach, taro root, flaxseed oil, soyabean, pistachio.
      Broccoli, carrots, chard, mustard and turnip greens, mangoes, nuts, papaya, pumpkin, red peppers, spinach, and sunflower seeds, Flax seeds, walnut, sardines, salmon, soyabean, tofu, shrimp, brussel sprout, cauliflower, winter squash, fish oil, egg oil, krill oil, chia seeds, Canola oil, camelia in diet.
      Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day.

Practice pranayama for 2 – 3 minutes a day. – http://easyayurveda.com/2010/08/28/how-to-do-pranayama-a-simple-pranayama-technique/
      Wake up before six.
      Try cold water bath.

27. ranjit sarkar says:

I am a patient of ashma due to allergy . please advice me which medicine is most effective for me. can i take haridrakhand ?

28. Kanika sharma says:

I am suffering from snnezing, cold, running nose. Can u please tell me can I take haridrakhand. I an facing this problem from last 3 years

29. I have atopic dermatitis for almost 10 years. Dry skin and rash become severe in the winter. I got Maharishi Ayurveda Haridra Khand and they also advised to reduce eating sour things. I don’t think he was a doctor. Is it important to see a doctor? I don’t really know where to find a good ayurvedic doctor here in Varanasi. Thanks for any help!

30. I live in Canada and have returned from a trip to Gujarat and Goa where I consulted with Ayurveda doctors for treatment of hives. Among Haridrakhanda I was prescribed Purodil. I have brought with me both the medications but I am worried that once I run out where would I be able tit buy it in Canada or the US.

31. Preetkamal says:

My wife is having steroid dependency due to use of mometasone + fusidic acid for skin allergy … Is haridra khand useful to get rid of this steroid dependency…
    Some time very tiny small size homogenous pimples appears on skin..

32. lalita chatterjee says:

DR JV HEBBAR …CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO TAKE HARIDRAKHAND FOR ANGIOEDEMA..I SUFFER FROM IDIOPATHIC ANGIOEDEMA……

33. How helpful is haridra khand for skin fungal infections and for healing a leaky gut produced from excessive antibiotics usage ?

34. Satsang says:

Hi – my wife is 18 weeks pregnant, for the last 1 week she has developed severe itching on her legs and hands. Someone suggested Haridrakhand and she has so far taken 5 doses over last 3 days. It has evidently helped her itching. I’m going to ask her to stop having it now. Should we be aware of and prepared for any side effects of it?

35. Diwakar Uniyal says:

Hi Doctor, I am facing too much urticaria problem. More then 600 urticaria points in cells my blood. And I am facing itch every time, everywhere at my body. I have tried too much costly Allopathic medicines and My treatment is going on since one year but I didn’t get any output. Kindly suggest me. Can I use it ? Can this medicine effective for me or not ? If yes, how can I use it ? Pls suggest.

36. Praveen says:

Hi Dr,

I am recommended HaridraKhand + Sitopaladi + Trikatu + Swasari Ras churna for allergic rhinitis.

Previously I had acidity and indigestion problems, which is kind-of under control.
    I see the above churna mixture is hot or spicy. Can I take this for without relapsing acidity or gastritis issues?

Thanks.

37. I m suffering frm body itching and its a allergy called chapaki .so wht should i take for this

38. Barnita Mitra says:

Dr. Sahab,
    I am taking 1 teaspoon Haridrakhanda twice a day as per doctor’s prescribe. I have chronic allergies, rashes, white spot in face. But after taking it my rashes become more in hands and face. Please tell me is it increased in primary stage then do cure? or its side effects? Does it suit me?

39. anonymous says:

Hello Sir,
    My kid is 5 months old and I feed him at least twice a day.
    I am suffering from severe allergy problem after delivery and i have started Haridrakhand.

Hope there is no side effect of Haridrakhand while he is on my feed..

Please advice.

40. can i do it as a product for science fair

41. Hello Doctor
    Can I use haridhrakhand to improve my complexion as well as my baby’s complexion? I’m breastfeeding now. Baby is 3 months old.

42. I am suffering from Histamine Intolerance. Please inform if Haridrakhand will be effective for me and what should be the dosage

43. sir
    I am suffering from urticaria from 10 months, i consult with ayurvedic doctor also and i take haridrakhand but can you tell me which vegetables and non veg i eat, beacause i already avoid potatos, fish, chicken, prones and black tea.

44. i have high level of eosinophilia..and also liver problems… doctor prescribed me haridrakhand.will it work?

45. kavita goyal says:

sir baba ramdev ji btaya ne tv par btaya tha ke articaria ke lie 5 kali mirhc, 5 spoon ghee & 5 spoon khand lene se articaria thik ho jata hai but kya aap bta sakte ise kitne bar lena hoga?

• din me ek ya do baar, 2 – 3 weeks tak lena chahiye.

• suffering from itching problem from last year .. and this itching is non stop until i take some medicine .. and then it stops for some day and then revert back .. and during it also leave behind some red rashes for few mints … please suggest me what should i do should i take this haridrakhand if yes then how much doses …

Hello sir, Yes you can use this.
          Dosage: 5grams twice a day with milk. You can substitute this with your coffee/tea.

• how much time will it take for cure after taking haridrakhand …. and should alcohol be avoided with this …people says ayurvedic medicine is very hot for body ..

46. Yes.

47. I am diagnosed to be suffering from Lichen Planus by an allopathic dermatologist last week. This is after use of antibiotic bactrim DS during a fever last month. . Would you advise haridra khandam ? I used haridra khandam once yesternight with hot milk but had severe episode of intolerable skin itching in the night…not sure if this is a healing process ? I am a lean pitta prone person with acidity issues in the past.

48. dinesh jangir says:

Respected Doctor,

Good evening, My selft Dinesh kumar I am suffering itching problem from last 5 yrs. in the starting it was normal but now a days it give lot of pain and itching to whole body. my CBC report is normal. when itching is starting it continue to all body within 10-15 minutes, then after i take Cetrizen Tablet after taking this tablet after 2-3 hrs it relief. and not itching for 3-4 days. and after 4 days same condition.

when itching is done red lining and skin like get heavy.

Please guide me and suggest me good aurvedic medicine .

can haridarkhan is better option for this.

Regards

Dk Jangir

• yes it will help you. but for the dose and duration you must consult a near by Ayurveda doctor. since it depends on nature of your body and condition of your disease.

49. Parminderjit says:

I am also suffering from chornic urticaria and sccabies plz suuggest me some ayurvedic medicine

50. I am suffering from bulbous pemphigoid. Can i take haridra? Is it cure?

51. Can be taken for throat infection

52. Ravindra Tatikonda says:

Hi Dinesh Kumar Jangir,

I have identical problem what you have , since 4 years itching . I take cetrizine and itching is reliefed for 2-3 days. Today my Ayurvedic Doctor suggested this medicine, so will be trying this.

Did you feel any changes after using this medicine ?

53. Hi Dinesh Jangir,

I have identical problem as what you have, but for 4 years. I also take cetrizine for itching to get relief. Today my doctor prescribed this medicine . So i will using this.
    Do you feel any changes after using this medicine ? pls let me know .

54. Hi

55. Kapil saini says:

Hi ,
    Sir I am suffering from psoriasis and I am taking ayurvedic medicine. Can I take haridrakhand side vise?? Haridrakhand is beneficial in psoriasis treatment or not??

56. i m having pimples on my face so doctor prescribed me haridrakhand, khadirarista syrup & 1 more. So, can haridrakhanda b used for pimple treatment. I m using the combination from 2 months n its quite effective.

57. Diabetic patient can intake this product?

58. Hi
    My 3 year old son is having an urticaria from last 6 months. and from last 3 month i am using Ayurvedic medicines for him.i am giving Arq Ushba form last 3 months and Haridra khand for last 1 month..Till now it reduces very much..i will say only 1% is left..uptill when i can continue this. Or Do i require to add something else

59. Hi , This products sounds good .. I am taking homeopathy medicine(allen urticaria drops) for urticaria can I take haridrakhand with it?

60. Hi, I am suffering from hives(urticaria). Is the patanjali haridrakhand effective for that?

Yes it is. Please do consult a doctor if they can add some other medicines to it seeing the severity of the urticaria

61. Follow up question for urticaria. I’ve been taking Allegra twice daily for the past one month. Shall I stop using that when I start haridrakhand

62. What is sugar candy. Wats it’s name in kannada.

63. Can i use this product for lichenoid dermatitis,amylodiosis

64. Dr. Hebber Sir, I thank for your kind service to the man kind.

65. anil kumar says:

can this medicine be used daily for years? and if yes can it be used along with a non veg diet.My aim is to get a fairer skin complexion

66. Respected Sir,
    Sir I am suffering SHIT PITTI and taking Haridra khand, Kaya kalp vati and Kissor Gugul from patanjali chikistalaya is it proper or not tell me. I am suffering internal heat in my body what should I do to make my body cool removing this body heat?
    Yours,
    Prahladbhai D. Patel – Gandhinagar (Gujarat)

67. Sir mujhe 2 saal se urticaria ki problem ho rahi h kya sirf haridrakhand ko use karne. Ye problem thik ho jayegi… Kitne samey tak use krna h

Hello sir , These are the line of treatment we follow to treat Urticaria:
      Body purificatory therapy (samshodhana), according to the dosha dominance.
      Oral medications (shamanoushada)
      Avoidance of causative factors (nidana parivarjana)

Do consult a ayurvedic physician and based on the severity, your prakruthi, the dosha dominance etc., he/she might prescribe medicines accordingly.

68. ashish goyal says:

I have been suffering from recurrent engioedema for last 2 years .will this help?

Hello sir, Yes you can use. As it contains Turmeric which helps in fighting off the inflammation and the reaction that is caused due to angioedema.

Note: As with adding any herbal supplement to your diet, it is advisable that you first consult with your physician. Your doctor should be able to assess your health condition and place any necessary restrictions on you.