Khadirarishta – Uses, Side Effects, Ingredients And Dose

Khadirarishta is a liquid Ayurvedic medicine. It is also known by the terms khadirarishtam and Khadirarisht.
Khadirarishtam contains 5 – 10 % of self generated alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble the active herbal components to the body.

Khadirarishta uses: Khadirarishta is widely used in the treatment of skin diseases.
It is used in the treatment of –
Mahakushta – all types of chronic skin diseases including leprosy.
Hrudroga – cardiac disorders – It is a good heart tonic
Panduroga – anemia, early stage of liver disorders
Arbuda – tumors
Gulma – Abdominal tumor
Granthi – cysts
Krumi – intestinal worms, wound with infection
Kasa – cough
Shwasa – Asthma, dyspnoea
Pleeha – splenomegaly
Udara – Ascites

Khadirarishta dose:
12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water.

Pathya:

Light pathya rules are to be followed.
Khadirarishtam side effects:
A very high dosage than the prescribed may cause burning sensation in stomach.

Khadirarishta ingredients:
Khadira – Acacia catechu – heart wood – 2.4 kg
Devadaru – Cedrus deodara – heart wood – 2.4 kg
Bakuchi – Psoralea corylifolia – Seed – 576 grams
Darvi – Berberis aristata – 960 g
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula – 960 g
Vibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica – 960 g
Amalaki – Amla – Emblica officinalis – 960 g
Coarse powder of above is taken, added with water – 98.304 liters.
Boiled and reduced to 12.288 liter, Filtered.
This is added with
Makshika – honey – 9.6 kg
Sharkara – Sugar candy – 4.8 kg
Fine powder of
Dhataki – Woodfordia fruticosa – Flower – 960 g
Kankola – Piper cubeba – Fruit – 48 grams
Nagakeshara – Mesua ferrea – Stamen – 48 g
Jatiphala – Myristica fragrans – Seed – 48 g
Lavanga – clove – 48 g
Ela – cardamom – 48 g
Twak – Cinnamon – 48 g
Patra – Cinnamomum tamala – leaves – 48 g
Krishna – Pippali – Long pepper – 192 g

Method of manufacturing:
The first set of herbs in coarse powder form is taken, boiled with the specified amount of water, reduced to a quarter part to get Kashaya. It is filtered. It is added with sugar and mixed well, filtered again.
Then rest of the ingredients are added and kept in an air tight container which is smeared from inside with ghee for fermentation. After a month, it is taken out and filtered.

Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali 54/365-370, Sharangdhara Samhita, Madhyama Khanda 10/60-65
khadirarishta
Shelf life:  10 years. Once after opening the bottle, it is better to empty it within 2 months.

Safe for kids?
It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose, in children above 5 years of age.
Pregnancy and lactation –
During pregnancy, it is best to avoid this / take this only under medical supervision.
During lactation period, it can be taken in lower doses, based on doctor’s advice.

Manufacturers: Zandu, Sandu, Dabur, Baidyanath, Arya Vaidya Sala, AVP.
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Can this be taken as a daily skin tonic or is it a medicine to be taken when necessary?

2. CH RAMESH says:

Can this be used for curing urtricaria (hives) disease for men and women

3. Atiqur rehman says:

Yes it is work, for skin & some other
    I like this product,

4. lavanya says:

Is kadhirarista helpful for blood infection

5. How many days need to use for this Tonic for skin disease

6. how long will it take to see improvement in acne marks??

7. Ayurveda Consultant advised me to use mix equal quantity of Khadirarishta and Aaranyarirshta.. Is it okay?

8. can this be used to treat vitiligo, if yes what dosage? Also plz tell any other formulation that would cure vitiligo

9. can i use for vitiligo? if so where can i buy?

10. Does it contain alcohol? ??
    And it contains sodium propyl paraben
    N parabens causes breast cancer, so is it harmful fr me as im taking this for week nw
    N very satisfied with the result as I was having pimples on body with itching, im cing results
    So plz doc suggest me whta shud I do as im worried about the alcohol/n/parabens….

11. i have redness at my genital area also disurea..from last two years.. can i take this khadirarist… if yes.. than how much time take to heal.

• Hi, for your condition, it is best to consult a gynecologist directly. You can take Khadirarishta in a dose of 15 ml, mixed with 15 ml of water twice a day for 1 month time.

12. respected sir.. i m monal patel.. i hv skin problem at my genital area.. can i take this khadiraristha ..if yes than how much time take to heal my redness at vaginal.. what is the nature of divya khadraristha..i mean cool or hot…please answer me sir .. i am suffering of this problem from last 2 years..

thanks a lot

• hi,
      though khadirarista is useful for skin disorder, it will be better if you consult an Ayurveda doctor(lady) and take treatment only after thorough examination.

13. is it helpful for polysystic ovaries PCOD..?

14. Doctor, my son has Eczema for the past 10 years… he is 11 year old now… i am giving symptomatic treatment in allopathy… i heard abt this khadirarishta… will it be helpful if i give him on regular basis as a skin tonic… will it stop his itching… will the alcohol will make him addict in his later days?

• it will help definitely. no problem if the dose and duration are decided by an Ayurvedic doctor. it will surely effect positively over itching. as the alcohol content in it is naturally formed and is in a very minute quantity it does not make addiction in later days.

15. divya yadav says:

Hello Sir, I am Divya Yadav, I am suffering from Severe Acne and I am 28 years old. Also I am suffering from Hormonal Issues… my testosterone level is high due which I am suffering from Acne and hairloss…will Khadirarishta help in curing this.???

16. Samir Karmakar says:

Is this useful for neirofibromatosis

17. In every ayurveda medicine for vitiligo bakuchi is the main ingredient. I have tried almost every aryuvedic medicine but it seems presence of bakuchi egraveted my vitiligo. Even bakuchi seed powder mixed with cow urine didn’t help instead increased vitiligo. Some told me bakuchi causes pitta and my pitta type body perhaps responsible for medicine not working. Can you suggest medicine without bakuchi? Can i get khadirarishta without bakuchi?

• BAKUCHI IS THE ONLY DRUG OF CHOICE IN VITILIGO. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO INCREASE THE CONDITION. THERE MAY BE SOME OTHER CAUSE FOR YOUR DISEASE AGGREVATION. KHADIRARISTA DOES NOT COME WITHOUT BAKUCHI.

18. What medicines should be taken with khadirarist in chronicle ring worm infection

19. Is this useful for skintags

20. Neha rawat says:

Should i take it with water? (Cold or warm)

21. Akhila Maheshwari Iyampillai says:

dear sir,

can khadirarishtam and saraswatiaritham be taken morning and evening respectively. also will these cause any kind of instability during day time as this has self generated alcohol in it ?

Also Does Khadirarishtam has anything to do with obesity ?

• yes they can be taken, and does not cause any problem if taken in prescribed quantity.
      khadirarista directly does not have any effect on obesity, but it is kaphahara thus indirectly helps in obesity.

22. Akhila Maheshwari Iyampillai says:

Dear Doctor,

what lepam do you prescribe along with this for acne and pimples in face with black stubborn after pimple marks ?

What pathya rules has to be taken care of ?

• kumkumadi taila or lepa can be used.
      avoid oily and fatty food items, drink lot of water and eat healthy foods with fruits and vegetables.

• Akhila Maheshwari Iyampillai says:

Thanks a lot Dr Shishira,

please suggest me a lepam brand. Also i am searching for mukhadooshikari lepam after checking in this site, i could not find it online or in stores. Any other alternative face pack of them ?

23. It is similar to mahamangistarist
    Witch better

I will take that as Mahamanjisthadyarishta Sir.
      Khadirarishta is useful in:
      It is used in the treatment of –
      Mahakushta – all types of chronic skin diseases including leprosy.
      Hrudroga – cardiac disorders – It is a good heart tonic

Uses of Mahamanjisthadyarista
      Blood disorders
      Skin diseases
      Psoriasis
      Eczema, itching
      Roughness of skin

24. Sir I have hair fall problem. I consulted ayrvedic doctor and he gave khadirarishtam. How it will help me. Pls explain.

25. I’m using this.. And my mensus date is getting longer 10 days late… Kadhirarishta affect my regular periods??????

26. hiii… my 3 year old daughter is suffering from lichen planus. she has been given kayakalap oil n khadirarishta… is it helpfull or do i need to take somethingelse for her

Madam, do follow the advice of the doctor as we are dealing with a kid. It is helpful in this case.

27. Dr I am suffering from severe psorasis of handfor the last many years ,tried many treatments but still no improvement ,now wish to try Khadirarist or Lohasav .

Please advice which among two would be best for me and how long should I continue it.

28. Megha Goswami says:

Hi sir i can use the khadirarisht for obesity

29. Hi sir i can use the khadirarisht for eczema . How many months take it

30. Satyawan says:

After how much time after taking meal it should be take

31. dharmesh says:

DO KHADIRARISHTA ENHANCES THE FACIAL GLOW ?? IF YES, THEN HOW MUCH TIME ???

32. dharmesh says:

is khadirarishta a substitute of safi??? i searched out that safi has burge tulsi which lowers the sperm count. is it so?? do khadirarishta also has the same impact on sperm ??

33. Vanishree says:

Hello Sir my two sons of age 6 and 4 each suffer from impetigo. Can I give them khadirarishta.

34. 5 months ago I had blisters on both hands along with inflammation. I had used steroids to cure the same. After 3 months again blisters again start to come all over body. Can I use khadirarista.

35. Sir I have a white patch of 4 cm diameter on hip.from long time ..it has sensation..? Can I use khadirarista ? If yes for how long?

36. A_Patient says:

Can khadirarisht also cause arbud ?It contains daruharidra which is an antitoxic and can cause dooshivisha which may cause arbud. How is it helpfull for arbud? Following some ayurevdic treatments with vishavilwadii vati ,I started developing allergic wounds/ulcers (external) which heal only thru turmeric and pretty fast (almost immediate effect)after taking it; otherwise it would not heal .The wound would be caused immediately by certain food items and herbs eg sariba, gokshura,giloy churna ,chironji etc.For the same my dr advised me to take khadirarisht, and since I took it I developed some small growth under my lower lip which continued to grow so i stopped taking khadirarisht.Now its been more than 2 months and the growth is still there fortunately its not much . So the question again is it for arbud or can it also cause arbud if taken under some condition as above?

• Neither Khadirarishta nor daru haridra can cause arbud. This product is useful when the patient is undergoing chemotherapy / radiotherapy to reduce side effects.
      In your case, khadirarishta might not have caused lip growth.

37. Hi,
    I am suffering from urticaria and I have been advised to take Haridrakhandam. I would like to know if I can take Khadirarishta along with Haridrakhandam. Also kindly advice how long I might need to take the medicine.

• You can take Khadirarishta along with Haridra khanda. You may need to take this medicine for 2 months time.

• Thank you doctor. What is your opinion about taking Maha Manjishtadi Kashayam in conjunction with the above two? I have been told that Maha Manjishtadi Kashayam is also very effective for Cholinergic Urticaria.

38. can i use Khadirarishta for trattment of redness and swollen penis foreskin. it is from 4 days.

• Better to consult a doctor directly. The cause for redness needs to be evaulated. Khadirarishta however, can be useful in a dose of 15 ml, 2 times a day.

39. I’m suffering from chronic dandruff since past 6-7 years. I consulted doctor and confirmed its not psoriasis. Just regular dandruff. I’m wanting a permanent solution for it. Can i use this product? And if yes how long should i use it?

40. Sir, white patch of 2 cm wide on hip
    It is sensing .can use khadirarishta
    What is the dose for how many days

41. Sar mere chehare or cheast par dane nikalte h mavad nikalta h khadirarishta

42. Manish jain says:

Sir i m suffering from hidredenits suppurative disease . Is this medicine useful for me.

43. P. Madan Mohan Redy says:

Sir,
    When using Kadirarista , any instruction in food

44. I m 39 yrs old and having lichen disease on hands n back n legs.can I take khadirarisht without consulting a dictor

45. I am using this for about 3 month for acne ..my scars are still not over yet..!!
    how long i need use this product??

46. How long will it take to see improvement in ring warm

47. I am suffering from chronic urticaria for over 3 years . Will maha manjishthadi kada be useful along with homeopathy medicine?

48. Can diabetic person can use this medicine

49. Is it useful in case of pleva and chronic ringworm

50. hi can it be used for sugar control

51. Abhishek Singh says:

Can I take Khadirarishta with Liv52 .Kindly guide.

52. Hello Sir my daughter 7 years old is taking khadirarashita as she suffering from psoriasis.how Long i have to give her and how long it take to heal the psoriasis .
    Regards
    Gurneet

• I hope you have consulted a doctor before starting Khadirarishta. It can be taken for up to 2 – 3 months time. Please discuss with your doctor regarding the time required for healing.

• We live in Germany and we consulted an Ayurvedic doctor in Delhi.he has prescribed us khadiraristha 1 tsp and 1 Himalaya Purim tablet daily .Is these medicines are safe for children.had there is any effect on growth of children? Pls help

53. Can we take mahamanjisthadi kwath and khadirarishta both together. Is there any difference between them

54. can ckd patient take

55. I am having severe nodular and cystic acne what else should i take with khadikarishta.
    Doctor give your valuable opinion

56. Sir, I am 42 and have been suffering from severe urticaria, fungal infection and ringworm problem since last 7 months and had started taking Kamdudha ras, Khadirarishta and Haridrakhand and felt lot better, but have now stopped Kamdudha ras after 2 months. Now again I am having acute gastric problem and acidity and itchy skin. Please tell should I take Kamdudha ras for little longer duration. Does it help in menopause also.

• Being a Pitta balancing medicine, Kamadudha ras also helps in menopausal symptoms. In a dose of 1 tablet 2 times a day before or after food, it can be taken for a period of 2 – 3 months time.

For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      For email advice, please write to our health experts here (paid service) – http://easyayurveda.com/consult/

57. Komal sharma says:

Can it is used for piles

58. Sir,
    Is it suitable for my 77 yrs old, for chronic itch, eczema & Vitiligo, Can Gandhak Rasayan should be taken along with the same.
    regards,

59. Can I use this for ringworm

60. Can I use khadhirarishta while feeding?

61. Is it useful for kelloids. How long will it take to disappear

62. I have psoriasis 20 years only in hands and legs can I have khadirarishta and also I have consulted the pathanjali doctor

63. Sir I am suffering from ringworms is kadirarista helpful in reducing redspots on thigh and stomach which is itchy.

64. Can Khadirarishta be used for red rash like hives. But not sure I have hives as the red patches were not raised bumps and do not itch or change locations. They are on my stomach and sides and back. Have had them about 4 weeks and got them after being bitten by a bug we call chiggers here in USA. The chigger bites them selves were red and very itchy and lasted a few weeks then started to fade away. But the red non-raised non itchy red rash on my stomach never itched and continues to remain. Will Khadirarishta help?

65. After taking Khadiraristha,I feel sleepy and heavy headedness.Is this because of the alcohol present in it and can I continue to use it?

66. Hi doc
    Saribadyasava with punarvarishtam khadirashtam Improve colour of the skin and remove toxins through kidneys

Best regards

67. Raghavendra says:

Sir,can diabetic patient can take khadirarishta for eczema.If not what medicines should we use for eczema for diabetic patients.

• No. There aer medicines like Eosinophal tablet, Nimbadi kashayam tablet etc
      For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – http://easyayurveda.com/consult/

68. Hi Doc
    In which dosha it works ie is it neutralize
    kapha , vata or tridosha
    And It will be useful if you include
    Particular medicines works on which dosha in your website
    Warm Regards

69. Is this diuretic
    Is all blood detoxifier in Ayurveda are diuretic

70. PRAKASH ANCHAN says:

Is there solution for pemphigus vulagares auto immune disorder in ayurveda

71. Hello Sir
    I m suffering from sebaceous dermititis from last 1 yr will Khadirasishta help to cure it

72. Hi sir
    Am suffering from eczema can I take khadirarishta is there any pathyam while taking this?

73. Can diabetic use khadirarishta

74. Gopi Mall says:

Is it useful for rosacea

75. I have lot of hair fall if I take this tonic is their any result

• If the cause for hair fall is dandruff / scalp skin disorder, then this tonic will be useful.

For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

76. Karishma says:

Sir i m suffering from acne does this syrup works

77. Kulwinder kaur says:

Hello Dr JV Hebbar

My son is 10 year old and have urticaria. Can I give him khadirarishta along with gandhak rasayan? Will it help with the problem?

Kulwinder Kaur

78. Hello doctor…..is khadirarishta helpful in treating simple adenaxal cyst or ovarian cysts……if not then wat can b given in this problem

• Cysts are hard to cure with oral Ayurvedic medicines.
      Kanchanara guggulu might be useful.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

79. Hi Doc, if I take this for purigo nodularis/ eczema.. will I experience a flare up?
    Thank you for your response in advance!

80. Can I have 15 ml of Khadirarishta once a day after lunch for 3 months? I suffer from seborreheic dermatitis of the scalp and ears, sporadic small lumps in armpits and general skin conditions like dark pigmentation, mild acne etc.

81. Sir I’m suffering from vitiligo this syrup works?

82. iam 25 yr female fighting with severe vaginal itching, any medicine??

• For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

83. Patil M.S. says:

I have itching problem and has to take cetrizen every alternate day. For how long I have to take khadirarisht

• It alone might not be effective. It can be taken for 6 weeks.
      For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health expert Dr Raghuram BAMS MD (Ayu), here (paid service) –

84. s.singh says:

sir,my penis glan affected with pigmentation patches(melasma).please suggest any ayurvedic oil for this & also can i take khadirarishta in order to reduce the black patches?

• Hi, you can apply Nalpamaradi tailam. Available in amazon website here

You can take Khadirarishta – 10 ml, 2 times a day after food.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

85. Hi,

I am suffering from back acne, pimples on face and rough skin. My complexion has also gone dark and dull. I have tanned face.
    Can I take mahathiktham kasahayam and manjishtadi kwatham tablets twice a day on empty stomach? and khadirarishtham after food and avipathi churnam at bed time?

If yes, then what should be the dosage and if no, then what to skip and what not to skip?
    I am 26, female having no prior medical history.

• You can take mahatiktam and manjishtadi – 1 tablet 2 times a day, 30 minutes before food.
      Khadirarishtam – 10 ml, mixed with 10 ml water twice a day after food for 1 month time.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

86. Sir,
    Can balarishta and khadirarishta be mixed together?

87. Sir i am 34 years old.. And i m sufffering from some skin allergy for past 6months…i m taking homeopathic treatment for it but my allergy is not cured.. I have red itchy acne on face n on hand… Can i take this product along with homeopathic medicines.. N what quantity.. I akso have gastric issues..

88. Sir I’m suffering from Alopecia areata this syrup works?

89. sir , i m 30 year old female . i have pcos . i m taking ashokarisht ,kanchnar guggul and chandraprabha vati for it .i suddenly suffer from skin disease and have a acne flare up . can i use kayakalp vati and khadirarisht for the later along with the former . if yes tell me doses n if not then tell me which one to skip.

• Hi, I think it is ebtetr to reduce the dose of Kanchanara guggulu and chandraprabha vati, then introduce khadirarishta.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.