Ashwagandharishta – Uses, Ingredients, Dose And Side Effects

Ashwagandharishta – a liquid Ayurveda medicine used in the treatment of sexual disorders, depression etc. Ashwagandharishta contains about 5 – 10 % of self generated natural alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble the active herbal components to the body.

Aswagandharista dosage:  – 12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, equal quantity of water can be added before consumption.
Traditional dose is – 24 ml.

Ashwagandharishta uses:
Aswagandharishtam is used in the treatment of  feeling tired all the time psychiatric conditions, epilepsy, stomach problems like low digestion power, emaciation, Piles and Vata imbalance diseases.
It is also used as a nervine tonic.

Traditional uses of Indian medicine – Aswagandharist
Murcha – recurrent fainting, episodes of unconcsciousness
Apasmara – epilepsy
Shosha, Karshya – emaciation, leanness, weight loss
Arsha – hemorrhoids
Mandagni – weak digestion
Vataroga – Vata induced disorders – neurological disorders, arthritis, hemiplegia, palsy.

Ashwagandhadyarishta side effects: A very high dose of 50 ml or more may cause stomach irritation.
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali – Murcha Rogadhikara 13-17, AFI Part I
How long to use?
Based on doctor’s prescription, this medicine can be used for 2 weeks to 4 months.
Safe for kids?
It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose, in children above 5 years of age.
Pregnancy and lactation –
During pregnancy, it is best to avoid this / take this only under medical supervision.
During lactation period, it can be taken in lower doses, based on doctor’s advice.

Aswagandharishtam ingredients:
Krishna Sariva (Cryptolepis buchanani) – Root – 384 g
Shweta Candana  (Santalum album) – heart wood – 384 g
Rakta Candana  (Pterocarpus santalinus) – heart wood – 384 g
Vacha (Acorus calamus) – Rhizome – 384 g
Chitraka  (Plumbago zeylanica) – Root – 384 g
water for decoction – 98.304 liters
Boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters.
Madhu – Honey – 14.4 kg
Prakshepa –
Dhataki  Woodfordia fruticosa – Flower – 768 g
Shunti – Ginger – Rhizome – 96 g
Maricha – Pepper – fruit – 96 g
Pippali – Long pepper – 96 g
Twak – Cinnamon – 192 g
Ela – Cardamom – 192 g
Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – leaves – 192 g
Priyangu ( Callicarpa macrophylla) – Flower – 192 g
Nagakeshara  (Mesua ferrea) – Stamen – 96 g

Method of manufacturing:
The coarse powder of first set of herbs is added with water, boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters, filtered. It is added with honey and prakshepa powders are added and kept in an air tight container for one month for fermentation. After a month time, it is filtered and preserved.

Traditional reference with verse:

Manufacturers: Baidyanath, Dabur, AVN, AVP, Vaidik Herbs, Kottakkal
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.

Q: Should I store Aswagandharista in fridge?
There is no need to refrigerate any Arishta or asava, including Ashwagandharishta. Their shelf life is more than 10 years. Alcohol and jaggery acts as preservative in them. Read more about Asava – arishta dosage forms

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Lecturer, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

1. can i take aswagandharista for a long time. it contains 5-10%of alcohol. can alcohol affects the health

• Ashwagandharishta in a dose of 2 – 4 spoon two times a day can be taken for a long period of time. The alcohol taht it contains is just a medium for dissolved activ principles of herbs. It does not have any ill effects for long term use.

• Is this a tri-doshic formula? When used for long term, how does it compare to say ashwagandha boiled in milk?

One of the concerns I have is that they sell this in plastic bottles, not glass ones (if you know otherwise, please suggest). Is there danger of plastic leaching into the preparation and causing harm?

2. Anonymous says:

Is it helpful in celiac?

3. I am taking Ashwgandhaarishth, sarpgandha ghanbati and brahmi bati twice daily after mean for last two months for anxiety, sleep disorder etc. How long can I take all these for maximum period.

• You can take this for a period of 3 – 5 months. The dose needs to be tapered slowly, over a period of further 3 – 4 months and then it can be stopped. Go with the prescription of your doctor.

4. I get constipation after taking ashwagandharistha (twice a day) what should I do?
    Although i feel good as far as fatigue and general health is concern, also i found it increases memory.

• Try drinking half a cup of warm water at night and eating a banana at night, after food. This would relieve constipation. Yes, it is also a good memory booster. You may also want to consider reducing the dosage.

• Hello Doctor,
        I just wanted to know is the ashwagandha really help to those people who are unable to concentrate and not feeling active whole day..
        Kindly reply ..

• Yes it helps. But consulting a doctor to find out the real cause behind lack of concentration and appropriate treatment will be more helpful.

• pradipti says:

Thanks for reply ..i have another question… Is it helpful to improve memory power ???And can a 18 year old boy is able to take this???

5. Sir, I have urge for sex but for last one year I am feeling less erection etc, please suggest me I am 38.

6. Anonymous says:

Does it help in increasing height?

7. Is it helpfull for piles?

8. Hello Doctor,
    My Doctor advised me to take Ashwagandharishta along with kumarysavam, sukumaram and sapthasaram, I have PCOD problem mixing up of these tonic will cause any effects or shall I start taking it?

9. sir,is it helpful for ocd problem .

10. Sir Can I use Ashwagandharishtam for my lower back pain?

• Yes, if you are non diabetic and if the cause is not related to any internal organ problem (like kidney problem etc).
      It helps to strengthen the lower back.
      If the pain is severe, better to consult a doctor. There are better medicines and therapies for back pain.

11. manisha says:

Hi Doctor,

Iam 26 weeks pregnant. I took 20 ml of Ashwagandharishtam in the morning and evening (20 ml each time)today. It was given to me by mistake. Will it affect my pregnancy. Request your answer so that i can take any necessary precautions. I read its not good to be taken during pregnancy.

• Hi, taking it just for a day won’t affect you / your baby in any ways. Nothing to worry about.
      All the best with your pregnancy and future motherhood :)

12. manisha says:

Thanks a lot for the reply Doctor! really reassuring :)

13. Was a Chronic masturbator 5 yrs, bad memory, weak muscles, bad acne, low sex Will it help sexy drive and build muscle? How long do I have to take it for

14. Is this product and badam pak similar? What are the differences?

15. Hi doctor, an ayurvedic doctor has advised me to take Ashwagandharishta every day during my pregnancy. is it safe? please advise..

• I usually advice people to avoid all Ayurveda products during pregnancy, because a pregnant mother’s body already has all safety mechanisms, naturally. All a pregnant mother needs to concentrate on is – healthy nutritious diet and a happy mind. :)

16. Sachin Patil says:

Can Diabetic person take Ashwagandharishtam?

17. rajeesh says:

its good for piles

18. Hallo Doctor
    i am suffering with insomnia of less sleep. can i take ashwgandirisht or ashwgandha churana if yes than how long period.

19. Hello Dr. I was advised to use Ashwagandarishta for premature Ejacuation problem. How long i need to take this medicine. or any better suggession. Please advise.

• Hi, Ashwagandharishtam can be taken for a couple of months.
      If you want my advice,
      Please note that my email consultation is a paid service. Rs 250 or 7 USD for one month.
      After paying the said amount, you can ask any number of health queries for one month. I usually take one or two days to reply.

Payment options –

Or, along with email consultation,
      if you wish to get all my ebooks
      – Improve Your Life Easily With Ayurveda,
      – Complete Sex Guide And
      – Tridosha -Basic Principle of Ayurveda
      Plus six months subscription to Easy Ayurveda E-magazine, the price is Rs 749 / 17.99 USD

Payment options –

Please let me know for any inconvenience.

Wish you best health.
      Dr Hebbar

20. Sir,
    1. can i take this ashwagandharishta as daily supplement as i am having bit busy and stressful life…
    2. Can a female (age 26) take ashwagandharishta ? She is recently recovered from Nodal TB ???

Please advice…

• 1. Yes.
      2. Yes.
      The dose is 1 teaspoon once or twice a day. If it is too strong for you, then add 2 teaspoons of water and have it. Take it for 6 weeks and then stop it.
      But please note that personal consultation with an Ayurveda doctor is always the right way to go.

21. Is ashvagandarishta good for thin women for better digestion? And get in shape?

22. I am .60yrs. diabetic .Is it safe to take ashwagandharishtam daily 30 ml after dinner..

• Dear Mariam,
      If your blood sugar levels are very much under control, then you can take a lesser quantity of Aswagnadharisht.
      For dose, it is better to consult a doctor in person for the right advice.

23. Is it helpful for increasing height or not so which herb is helpful. …….please sir tell me I m suffring from liw height

24. hello doctor.. my daughter is 2 3/12 yrs old.. she is now 10 kgs.. very active, but going sick frequently like cold and viral fever.. am giving ashwagandhaarista 5ml for.. is it advisable to give for my daughter… also am facing tandrum prob with her in these recent days.. is there any connection b/w this anger mood and ashwagandarista in any way.. am giving this for her about 1 week only.. shall i continue for my little one.. please give ur valuable answer..

• It is not good to self medicate with Ayurvedic medicines in kids. I suggest you to take her to an Ayurveda doctor.
      Ashwagnadharishta might be a bit too strong for her. However, her anger mood is not a side effect of it.

25. Hi Doctor!
    I have been taking Ashwagandhaarishtha off and on for couple of years. I wanted to share my experience here:
    1. It has helped me to reduce my tensions and think straight.
    2. I have been able to avoid masturbation for a period of two months.
    3. I feel that I am more focused and more energetic.
    4. I was a late riser. Now I get up at 5 and go for an hour long morning walk.

This thing has helped me a lot. And this is the only way I could thank our forefathers.

26. ghanendra singh says:

ashwagandharista can be increases men sex power and tell me about the dose of this aristha and addisional medicines

27. Anshul Khandelwal says:

What is the difference in action between Ashwagandharishta & Ashwagandha churna. Can ashwagandha powder be used for back pain & poor digestion?

28. Hi Doctor,
    Can I take Himalaya Mentat tablet for depression and anxity. I have already consultated an allopathic nurologist, who had prescribed me Oleanz plus (Olanzapine 5mg + Fluoxetine 20mg), whic I am taking for the last 6 years and having serious side effects, like long hours of sleep and dizziness weight gain, feeling stoned and many more. I have mentioned these to my doctor but he had told me to continue it and also added one more medicine as supplement, to it, which I rejected. My age is 32 years.

My Question is, can I take Mentat as a supplement along with my precribed drug? Will it be benefical for me? I have already taken Ashwagandharishta, which showed good results, but it contains alcohol, and I am allergic to it. Can you prescribe any other good ayurvedic medecine?

I can give only a million thanks in return for mentioning a good ayurvedic alternative/supplement, for my cause.

Thanks a Lot for giving this opportunity.

29. Of course this product is mainly useful for ladies. But let me know wheather this product is useful for vericose problem for men and women. Let me know.

30. Hello Sir,
    Is Ashwagandharishta beneficial for treatment of sexual disorder caused due to over masturbation?Age-24

31. which medicines can cure obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder/social phobia and depression?

32. hrishant says:

is it helpful in increasing sperm count?

33. Two years before I am attacked by depression followed by hypomania. Psychiatrist told me I got desease called Bipolar Disorder. Will Aswagandharistha help me. Will it have sideaffects over me. Kindly reply

34. hemali shah says:

Hello dr. I m hemali shah. I m rheumotoid arthritis patient since 2005. N I m 35 nw. I tried allopath y homeopathic ayurveda drs but it didn’t help.i was talking pain killers all these years. After tht I did my own research n started taking aswagandhmrit n dashmoolahamrit of baidyanath since last 4 mnths. N aloe vera juice too. Today I m hving relief of 80% . M I going on the right way. Do I need to consult dr or this wl help me slowly.

35. Hi sir during sex time sperum comes with in 30 sec. The aswagandharishta help to increase the long period sex. No erection problem.

36. Is it helpful in back lower pain?

37. akshay sharma says:

Is ashwagandharishta good for kidney and liver, and does it helps in insomnia?

38. Can ashwagandharista be used for reducing shivering and fear phobias. Sir kindly advice.

39. This product is used both in men and women. It helps to strengthen veins in varicose veins. But it may not cure the condition completely.

40. hello sir,
    whether it is helpful in (24*7) upper jaw pain,scalp pain,nasal pain,stuffy nose?

41. This product is used both in men and women. It helps to strengthen veins in varicose veins. But it may not cure the condition completely..

42. VISHWANATH says:

It is help for the ovum growth (18mm to 22mm) for the fertilization and it is control PCOD PROBLEMS ?

43. hello sir can u explain me by taking this medicine will it any side effect or delay
    in femail menstruation cycle.

44. Greetings Doctor!

I am 24 years old male. I and my father (55 years old) have been taking the following health tonic 2-2 tea spoon with cow’s ghee for 1 month along with Chyavanprash and Ashwagandharishta 1 hour before breakfast and 1 hour after dinner.
    Health tonic (powder form) composition-
    Kaunch beej-100gm
    Shilajeet (thick liquid)-40gm
    Badam Pak-500gm

Benefits-My father feels invigorated throughout the day and so does I. We have experienced no side effects so far. We use it as a health tonic for general use although I am not suffering from any disease except mild constipation.
    So can I continue this tonic for extended period of months (4-6 months) or even for 1 year?
    For treating constipation, I take 2 tablespoon of Isabgol and 1 tea spoon of triphala churna before bedtime. It is working perfectly for 30 days.
    Can it also be taken for many months?

• Hi, as a general rule, I do not recommend any Ayurvedic medicine for extended periods of time, without a pressing need. Healthier eating habits – including anti oxidants in diet like Vitamin A, C, E etc are better ways to promote health than relying on medicines (Ayurvedic or otherwise), on a long run.
      You can continue Chyawanprash, Ashwagandha and this tonic for two months and then give a two month break and then continue again.
      For constipation you can take Isabgol and Triphala, only when there is need.

45. does it cure premature ejaculation ?

46. One of the concerns I have is that many manufacturers sell this in plastic bottles, not glass ones . Is there danger of plastic leaching into the preparation and causing harm?

47. I have constipation long time… I can use ashwagandharist…. Pls suggest..

48. how long it’s take to cure premature ejaculation by this syrup

49. My child s 5 yrs.he s using aswagandar isht a related to his eye sight(eye specialist prescribed).can I continue to give this to him when he s having cold cough and fever or should I stop when he s sick..

50. Hi I started taking this but I found it made me extremely tired and I struggled to stay Awake
    Is this a side effect ? I’m taking for anxiety and depression. Is there anything I could take to help with fatigue which is a big problem

• Hi, it is a very good product. I suggest to persist with it for at least 2 weeks. If you find it too strong, consider mixing equal amount of water, just before taking it.

51. Hi,

I am using this product since last 6 months(30 ml with equal water in night after dinner) and its been advised by my astrologer because of low energy, negativity, concentration, focussing and stress problem due to my current stars.
    Now I cant meet him and I don know whether to continue it further(same dose or lower)?
    For maximum how long in continuation this medicine can be used in samll Quantity(1 teaspoon) without any side effects?

52. Its good for headache?

53. Reshma Lolam says:

Hi sir.I’m 28 yrs old.can i use Ashwagandharishta for TORCH infection, acidity & irregular menses?

54. sir iam taking ashwagandharisht and arogyavardhini vati.can i take it.i am taking it for liver and gain weight.please suggest me

55. basveshwar says:

Avipattikar churn side effects if it will be taken long periods..?

56. Madhusudhan says:

Can his be taken to gain weight ? I am 29years and 60Kgs with lean body.

57. Anshuman says:

Sir how good it is to cure insomnia? I am currently taking kottakkal AVS manasamitra vatakam. I have also heard about sarpgandha ghanbati but I dont have any high/low BP. Can these be taken together?
    Thanks Sir for your immense help and contribution.

58. Arunabh Singh says:

Hi Sir,

I am 25 years old and i have a deficiency of vitamin B12, due to this i suffer from low grade fever in every 8 to 12 days, i am taking injections as well to reduce that deficiency as prescribed by doctor. Can i take this to reduce fatigue and weakness ?
    Your response will be highly appreciated.

59. Hello sir ,when I take ashgandharishthe .after some time I feel nauseanated .please suggest

60. Does it grow height…for how long should I take it to increase my height

61. Sir I have fast fall..and night fall,ocd,and more thinking about any thing and matter , is sarpgandha and ashwagandarisha helpful

62. Hello sir
    Doctor has advised to mix 10 ml of aswagandharistam and 10 ml of saraswathiaristham and give to my child who is 5 year twice a day.she has this correct?pls reply.

63. is this helpful in night fall

64. sir, how much time ashwagandharisht can use cotinuously.

65. starchh says:

can it helpt to proper growth of the body..

66. Peter Mueller says:

Hello Dr JV Hebbar,

I just read that Ashwagandharishta is an good “memory booster”. Would you say that it is the best ayurvedic cure to increase the memory or would you suggest a other cure?

Your response will be highly appreciated as well.

Kind Regards

67. Hi,sir can we give ashwagandharist two years old baby ?

68. Kya height bdhane mai iska use kr skte hai? Agar Han toh benefit kitna hoga

69. Dear Sir,

I am consuming Ashwagandharishtam Special (Liquid) of Baidyanath since last one & half month. 3 Table spoon with the mixture of same qty of water daily morning and night.

I wanted to clear below 2 points.

1. I am consuming this without any Medical prescription. One of my colleague has adviced me to take this. Can I continue with this.

2. From somewhere I had heard that most of the Ayurveda products are made with the Lead in it which is very harmful for kidneys. Is Ashwagandharishtam Special (Liquid) of Baidyanath is free from Lead. Or how much safe it is to consume.

Request you to help me with your valuable reply at

• 1.for what you are taking this comes to a point. any way it is always better to take suggestion of a doctor before taking any medicine.
      2.not most of products, only rasa preparations contain heavy metal ingredients that too in purified form and in quantity which is not harmful to the body in advised condition and dose.
      ahwagandharista does not contain any such heavy metal ingredients in it.

70. i have a little drug induced tremor. Can I have this aswagandha?

71. Mubeen Ganatra says:

Ashvagandharisht has been prescribed along with ostocalcium 8 drops twice for my child who is 6 month old for his it ok??

72. Chandrakant says:

Will the Ashwagandharisht have any side effects if taken
    for a longer period say for 2-3 years daily twice after meals
    30 ml every time.If so, what are they?

73. does ashvagandharisht syrup help in increasing height at the age of 19??

74. Can I give Ashwagandha Churn or Ashwagandharisht to my 10 yr old son who is in sports and have heavy work out daily ? is it beneficial to athletes? and how much and how long should I continue? Thanks.

• yes you can give. it will add on nutrients and gives strength. you can give 1 tea spoon twice daily by adding equal amount of water. you can use it for several months.

75. Can I use ashwaghanda for hair thinning. I am 35 yr old woman & I am experiencing lots of hair loss my blood reports are all normal. Can I take multivitamin & ashwaghanda together

76. P.Srinivasan says:

My father is 78 years old, heart patient (28% working of heart) and he has been advised to consume only one litre liquids since 1996. Now he has high uric acid of 15.2 and on medication.
    Can he take this Balashwagandharishta?

77. Sir I m suffering from diziness,imbalancing is it cureable with this or pls suggest

78. it is necessary to tapering the dose of aswagandharistom ?A healthy person how much month continue 15ml dose twice daily with out any harmful effect to the body?

79. Sir, I am suffering from Panic Disorder since last one year. Initially for few month I have been taking clonazepam medicine on regular basis and thereafter as per doctor suggestion taking it SOS. But became a medicine dependent and taking it almost daily. Since last month I am having continuous sharp pain in certain points in my head and ear. Recently an Ayurveda doctor suggest me to take ashwagandharishta special. Will it be affective in panic disorder and is it safe to take along with clonazepam medincine as ashwagandharishta contains alchohal?

80. My son 12year has epilepsy but not that frequent, currently he is undergoing tegretal and kepra100mg, also unani medicine Khamira Gaozaban Ambari jadwar ood saleebwala and Habbe sara.
    Can he take this ashwagandharishta syrup if yes then what will be the dosage and for how many months?

• as you are on Unani medication please confirm with your doctor that can you take the other system of medicine along with. if at all he gives you the permission, then it is better if you consult an Ayurvedic doctor in person, let him analyse the condition of your son and decide the medication and dose accordingly.

81. Sangeeta Raathi says:

Can you.tell if this is helpful for curing irregular menstrual cycle? Age 21

82. Hi Dr., I started Ashwagandha powder approx 1/4 teaspoon for my Son with milk 2 times a day, but after taking it 1 week he gained weight but suffering from fever, is it ok? can I start giving him Ashwagandha? please guide